Search Results for: visitors

Illinois Types of Driver’s Licenses

Class A: Any combination of vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more, provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 lbs.

Class B: Any single vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 lbs. GVWR.

Class C: Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 16,001 lbs. or more but less than 26,001 lbs. GVWR, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 lbs. GVWR or any vehicle less than 26,001 lbs. GVWR designed to transport 16 or more people including the driver or used in the transportation of hazardous materials which requires the vehicle to be placarded.

Class D: Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 16,000 lbs. or less that is not designed to transport 16 or more people or not used in the transportation of hazardous materials which would require such vehicle to be placarded.

Class L: Any motor-driven cycle with less than 150cc displacement.

Class M: Any motorcycle with 150cc or greater displacement.

Temporary Visitors Driver’s License (TVDL): All applicants must provide a valid, unexpired foreign passport or an Illinois State Police-approved Consular Card. The TVDL is valid for driving purposes only. It is not valid for identification purposes. The TVDL will be valid for three years from the date of publication and is only valid if the card holder is able to provide proof of liability insurance. The applicant must have resided in Illinois for more than 12 months.

Secretary of State may issue a restricted driving permit for a period as appropriate, but no longer than 2 years from the date of issuance.

Minnesota Driver’s License Issuance/Application

Every application for an instruction permit, for a provisional license, or for a driver’s license must be made on a form prescribed by the Department, and every application must be accompanied by the appropriate fee.

First-time Minnesota applicants must present a primary and a secondary form of identification to verify both identity and residency status.

Visitors who are in the U.S. as temporary residents will have the words “Status Check” and a visa expiration date on their state-issued cards. Proof of extended authorization to remain in the country will be required when the authorization date indicated on a card expires. Immigrants granted permanent or indefinite residency will not have a status check designation appear on their state-issued cards.

Social Security Numbers are not displayed on licenses.

License includes a color photograph. All applicants must have a full-face photograph taken, with the face unobscured, as part of the identification process. This does not require the complete removal of headwear. However, individuals are required to pull headwear back far enough so as not to obscure the face.

Out-of-state driver’s licenses are viewed as secondary identification documents.

An applicant who is over 18 years of age who received an instruction permit, and has not been previously licensed to drive in Minnesota or any other jurisdiction, must possess the instruction permit for at least 3 months.

Any valid driver’s license issued to a person on active duty with the U.S. Armed Forces, or the person’s spouse, is effective without requirement for renewal until 90 days after the date of the person’s discharge from the service.

Idaho Driver's License Issuance/Application

A driver’s license is required prior to driving in the state.  Idaho has reciprocity with other states for driver’s licenses and permits, provided that all conditions of the licenses or permits are followed.

Licenses shall not be issued to persons under 18 years of age not enrolled in school, in vocational school, or in a job training program or not having satisfactorily completed school.

Driver’s licenses will contain a distinguishing number (not social security number), full name, date of birth, Idaho residence address, sex, weight, height, eye color, hair color, color photograph, dates of issuance and expiration, license class, endorsements, restrictions, and the applicant’s signature.

New residents who will be operating motor vehicles must obtain an Idaho license after establishing residency even if they hold a valid unexpired driver’s license from another state. This can occur before 90 days but residency is considered established after living 90 continuous days in Idaho (30 days for Commercial Driver’s licenses). Foreign visitors on a limited-time visa (90 days or less) are not considered Idaho residents and are not eligible for licensure in Idaho.