Title Application

Applications for certificate of title must contain the name and address of the owner, the vehicle description, certification of applicant’s ownership and any liens, and the vehicle’s value. Applications for new vehicles must also include the manufacturer’s certificate of origin and certification by the dealer that the vehicle was new when sold to the applicant.

Applications for used vehicles must contain an assignment and warranty of title and an odometer statement.

In the case of a vehicle registered or titled in another state, the application must include a current statement made by a Wyoming law enforcement officer or licensed Wyoming dealer that the vehicle’s VIN is correct. If the vehicle is not in Wyoming at the time of application, an authorized law enforcement officer in that jurisdiction may make the statement.

The applicant must also present a receipt for payment of sales or use tax.

Title Transfer of Ownership

The seller or transferor must endorse an assignment of warranty of title on the certificate of title with a statement of all liens and encumbrances. The endorsement must be notarized, and the seller must deliver the certificate of title to the buyer or transferee at the time the vehicle is delivered.

The transferee must present in person or electronically the certificate of title to a county clerk and apply for a new certificate of title within 60 days.

The transferee is not required to deliver the certificate of title with the application if he delivers a signed, notarized bill of sale from the transferor with a description of the vehicle, including VIN, the name of the transferor, and a promise from the transferor to deliver a properly executed title free of all liens unless otherwise specified in the bill of sale.

If the transfer is by operation of law, the transferee must include a verified or certified statement of the transfer of interest with the application.

Titles for Mobile Homes

Every owner of a mobile home is required to obtain certificate of title within 30 days of purchase, transfer, or bringing into the state.

If a mobile home is installed on a permanent foundation and is taxable as real property, the certificate of title or manufacturer’s certificate of origin, if any, must be surrendered to and canceled by the county clerk. However, the certificate of title will not be canceled unless all liens on the home have been released.

An applicant for a duplicate certificate of title for a mobile home must file an affidavit describing the loss along with the application. A duplicate certificate will not be issued until 11 days after the application is filed. The applicant must also deposit an indemnity bond with the state of Wyoming in an amount of not less than double the value of the mobile home.

Registration Application

A person may not operate, and an owner may not give another person permission to operate, a motor vehicle unless it has been registered.

An application for the registration of a motor vehicle shall be made by the owner of the vehicle to the DMV on a form furnished by the DMV.

The application for registration shall include: the signature of an owner of the vehicle to be registered; the name, residence and mailing address of the owner, or business address of the owner if the owner is a firm, association, or corporation; a description of the vehicle including the make, model, body type, the model year as specified by the manufacturer, the number of cylinders, and the identification number of the vehicle; and any other information required by the DMV to determine whether the owner is entitled to register the vehicle.

The DMV shall require that the applicant or person making the application for registration has a valid driver’s license.

Prior to registration a vehicle must have: an identification number inspection done by a licensed dealer or a qualified identification number inspector; passed the safety inspection, if required in the current year; passed the emissions inspection, if required in the current year; paid property taxes, the fee, or received a property tax clearance; paid required sales and use tax; paid the automobile driver education tax; paid the uninsured motorist fee, if applicable; and a valid certificate of title for the vehicle being registered.

A registration card shall be signed by the owner in ink in the space provided and carried at all times in the vehicle to which it was issued.

The application for registration shall not contain any false or fraudulent statements. Such statements shall result in refusal of registration to the applicant.

There is no period of grace for late registration.

A trailer of 750 lbs. or less unladen weight and not designed, used, and maintained for hire or for the transportation of property or persons is not required to be registered.

All applications are made to the tag agent of the county wherein the applicant’s vehicle is required to be returned for ad valorem taxation.

The application must include the name, place of residence, and address of the applicant; a description of the vehicle; from whom, where, and when the vehicle was purchased; and the total amount of liens with the name and address of the lienholder.

Initial applications for registration must contain satisfactory proof of ownership.

No application shall be accepted and no certificate of registration shall be issued to any motor vehicle which was not manufactured to comply with federal emission and safety standards applicable to new motor vehicles.

Registration for Non-Residents

Vehicles owned by a non-resident, validly registered in another state or country, and displaying registration numbers or plates in accordance with the laws of that state or country are not required to be registered in Wyoming if the vehicle is not operated for gain or profit in Wyoming, not owned or operated by a person employed in the state, operated primarily by a student enrolled at a licensed postsecondary educational institution, or used for transportation of non-resident seasonally employed agricultural workers.

An operator of a vehicle operated in the state must apply immediately for registration if the operator of the vehicle is employed in the state; not a daily commuter from another jurisdiction which exempts vehicles of daily commuters from Wyoming from registration; and not a full-time student at a licensed school in the state offering post-secondary education.

Military personnel on active duty in Wyoming may maintain out-of-state vehicle registration.

Non-residents vacationing in Wyoming may drive on home state plates for 120 days.

Registration Type

Every owner of a non-commercial vehicle must apply for registration of and license plates for the vehicle annually not later than the last day of the annual registration month if the vehicle is currently registered by that owner in the state.

“Annual registration month” means: (1) for a vehicle currently registered in this state, the month in which the registration expires; (2) for a newly acquired vehicle, the month of acquisition; and (3) for any other vehicle, the month in which the vehicle was initially required to be registered in the state.

Emissions Inspection

No statewide emissions inspection requirement.

Safety Inspection

No statewide periodic vehicle safety inspection requirement.  No person may drive or move on the highway any vehicle unless the equipment on the vehicle is in good working order and adjustment and unless the vehicle is in such safe mechanical condition as not to endanger the driver or other occupant or any person on the highway.

Title and Registration Fees


Title Fee: $25.00

Registration Fee: $15.00


Title Fee: $25.00

Registration Fee: $12.00


Plate Fee: $8.00

Registration Fee: $4.00

Driver’s License Fee: $15.00

Title Fee: $9.00

Special Plates: $30.00

Plate Disbursement

Upon receipt of an approved application and payment of fees the county treasurer will issue to the applicant 1 reflectorized license plate or validation sticker for motorcycles, and trailers, including house trailers, and 2 reflectorized license plates or proper validation stickers for any other vehicle.

License plates must be conspicuously displayed and securely fastened to be plainly visible, secured to prevent swinging, attached in a horizontal position no less than 12 inches from the ground, and maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible. Motorcycles and trailers must display 1 license plate on the rear of the vehicle, and all other vehicles must display 1 license plate on the front of the vehicle and 1 license plate on the rear of the vehicle.

License plates and stickers may be delivered by mail if the applicant so desires, but the mailing cost may be required to be paid by the applicant.

Any person who registers 2 or more vehicles may select 1 currently existing registration month for all of those vehicles.

The color scheme for license plates is dark blue on light blue with a graphic background. License plates are also available for amateur radio operators, antique motor vehicles, disabled veterans, former prisoners of war, Pearl Harbor survivors, National Guard members, and Purple Heart recipients.

Applications for a specific license plate number must be made to the county treasurer by the last day of the annual registration month.

WYDOT will issue a special tamper-resistant removable windshield placard to an applicant submitting a letter from his or her physician stating that the applicant has a disability that is expected to last a minimum of 12 months that limits or impairs the ability to walk. The placard is also available to any person responsible for the transportation of eligible persons. An eligible person may also apply for special license plates.

Transfer of Plates

Unless otherwise provided, upon transfer of ownership of a vehicle the registration of the vehicle expires and the original owner must immediately remove the license plates from the vehicle. Within 30 days (45 days for transfer executed by auctioneer) after acquiring another vehicle, the original owner may apply to transfer the license registration number to the new vehicle. The owner must pay the fees based on the amount that would be due on the new vehicle less any credit for the unused portion of the original registration fees.

If a vehicle held in joint ownership between 2 or more joint owners is transferred to 1 or more of the owners, or by a person to the person’s spouse, child, brother, sister, or parent, the same license plates may be kept on the vehicle. The transferee must file an application and pay the proper fee to the county treasurer.

Upon application and payment of the proper fee, license plates may also be transferred from leased vehicle to a replacement leased vehicle and from a vehicle when sold by the owner to a replacement leased vehicle.

Driver's License Examination

WYDOT examines every applicant for a driver’s license and instruction permit. The examination includes a test of the applicant’s eyesight, knowledge, and driving skills.

WYDOT may waive the knowledge and driving skills test for any person applying for a renewal license.

Visual acuity of 20/40 or better with or without corrective lenses is required.

Graduated Driver's Licensing

Wyoming has a system of graduated licensing for novice drivers.

At age 15, an individual may apply for a permit.

  • Permit holders must hold it for at least 10 days and complete 50 hours (10 nighttime) of certified driving.

At age 16, drivers may apply for an intermediate license.

  • Drivers are restricted from transporting more than 1 person under the age of 18 (family is excluded).
  • Drivers may not operate a vehicle from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.

At age 16 and 6 months, individuals are eligible for an unrestricted license after completing driver education.  Without driver education, individuals are eligible for an unrestricted license at age 17.

Driver's License Issuance/Application

No person, unless otherwise exempt, may drive, steer, or exercise any degree of physical control of any motor vehicle or a vehicle being towed by a motor vehicle on a highway in the state unless the person has been issued a driver’s license for the class and type and applicable endorsements valid for the motor vehicle being driven.

No person may have more than 1 valid driver’s license at any time. A person must surrender to WYDOT all valid driver’s licenses in his or her possession before receiving a Wyoming driver’s license.

The following persons are exempt from licensing requirements: (1) a non-resident who has a valid license issued by the licensing authority in his or her possession; (2) a non-resident on active duty in the armed forces of the United States who has a valid license issued by his or her state of residence and the non-resident’s spouse or dependent child who has a valid license issued by the person’s state of residence; (3) any person on active duty in the armed forces of the United States who has in his or her immediate possession a valid license issued in a foreign country by the armed forces but only for a period of 45 days; and (4) a non-resident full-time student at a licensed institution offering post-secondary education.

A resident possessing a driver’s license issued by a member state of the Driver’s License Compact (of which Wyoming is a member) is exempt from the licensing requirement for 1 year.

Every application for an instruction permit or license must include the full legal name and current mailing address of the applicant; a physical description of the applicant including sex, height and weight; date of birth; a color photograph; the applicant’s social security number or other numbers or letters deemed appropriate; the applicant’s signature; whether the applicant has previously been licensed as a driver specifying the state or country; and information regarding suspension, revocation, or cancellation of a driver’s license.

If the applicant has not been previously issued a license in Wyoming or another jurisdiction, the applicant must supply a certified copy of the applicant’s birth certificate.

The application of any person under the age of 18 for an instruction permit or driver’s license must be signed by a parent or guardian having custody of the applicant. If there is no parent or guardian the application may be signed by the circuit court judge of the applicant’s county of residence upon petition to the court and upon a finding that the applicant is sufficiently mature to handle the responsibilities of driving a motor vehicle.

A licensee has 10 days to notify WYDOT of a change of name or address.

Social security number on license is optional.

Driver's License Renewal

Every driver’s license will expire on the licensee’s birthday in the 4th year following the issuance of the license. Every driver’s license is renewable within 120 days before its expiration. An applicant may renew his or her license more than 120 days before its expiration if the applicant states in writing that he or she will not be in the state during the 120 days before the license expires.

Every person applying for renewal of a driver’s license must take and successfully complete an eyesight test.

The state is prohibited from issuing a license to a person whose physician or optometrist has concluded he or she is not capable of safely operating a motor vehicle.

The driver’s license of any person who had not attained his or her 21st birthday may be renewed within 30 days prior to the date of his or her 21st birthday.

Resident military personnel and their dependents temporarily out of state may obtain an extension on their license, extending it for 4 years from the date of expiration. The fee is $15. Nonresident military personnel may use home state driver’s license.

Types of Driver's Licenses

Classes A and B: For vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs. Class S: For drivers operating a school bus.

Class C: For vehicles with a GVWR of less than 26,000 lbs. excluding motorcycles, designed to transport less than 16 passengers including the driver, and not placarded for the transportation of hazardous materials.

Class I: Instruction permit.

Restricted License: WYDOT may issue a restricted Class C or M license, or both, to a person who is between the ages of 14 and 16 if the applicant can show “extreme inconvenience” which includes the following: (1) the person must drive to school and the person’s residence is more than 5 miles from school; (2) the person has a regular job more than 5 miles from the person’s residence; (3) the person must have the license to work in his or her parent’s business; or (4) any other circumstance that the highway patrol finds is an extreme inconvenience. The licensee may drive a vehicle only between the hours of 5 a.m. and 8 p.m.

Distracted Driving

Texting while driving is prohibited. Cities in Wyoming, including Cheyenne and Green River, have banned drivers from handheld cell phone use.


No prohibition on wearing of headsets while driving.

Impaired Driving

Forty-nine states and the District of Columbia prohibit the operation of a motor vehicle while under the influence of intoxicating beverages, with the illegal per se limit set at 0.08 percent blood alcohol content (.08 BAC). Utah’s per se limit is 0.05 BAC. All 50 states and the District of Columbia set the legal drinking age at 21.

Every state’s chemical test law has ‘‘an implied consent’’ provision providing that any person operating a motor vehicle on a public highway, who is suspected of driving while intoxicated, consents to a chemical test to determine if he or she is inebriated. Failure to submit or pass such a test may cause the driver’s license to be suspended or revoked regardless of any court action finding the person innocent of the charge.

The most comprehensive resource on U.S. impaired driving laws is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Digest of Impaired Driving and Selected Beverage Control Laws.  NHTSA’s Digest is updated annually.

Wyoming requires the use of ignition interlocks for repeat and high BAC (.15 BAC or greater) impaired driving offenders only.

Move Over Law

State law requires drivers approaching an official stationary emergency vehicle making use of appropriate visual signals, including tow trucks, to merge into the lane farthest from the vehicle when traveling in the same direction, if safe to do so, or to slow to a speed that is 20 miles per hour less than the posted speed limit. Also included in the law are municipal, utility, and road maintenance vehicles.

Seat Belts

Seat belts are required for the driver and all passengers age 9 and older.

Violation of the seat belt law is a secondary offense.

Riding in the cargo area of a pickup truck is permitted.

Child Passenger Safety

Children under age 9 must be secured in a child safety restraint system. The child must be restrained in the rear seat unless the vehicle has only 1 row of seats, then the child may be secured in a child safety restraint system in the front seat.

Violation of the child restraint law is a standard offense.

Railroad Crossing

The driver of a vehicle must stop within 50 feet but not less than 15 feet from the nearest rail of the railroad and must not proceed until he or she can do so safely when: (1) a clearly visible electric or mechanical signal device gives warning of the immediate approach of a train; (2) a crossing gate is lowered or a flagman gives a signal of the approach or passage of a train; and (3) an approaching train is visible or gives an audible warning.

No person may drive a vehicle through, around, or under any crossing gate or barrier at a railroad crossing while the gate or barrier is closed or is being opened or closed.

School Buses

The driver of a vehicle upon meeting or overtaking from either direction any stopped school bus must stop before reaching the school bus when the school bus’s flashing red lights are in operation. The driver must not proceed until the stopped bus resumes motion or the flashing red lights are no longer in operation.

Bumper Height

Modification of original vehicle bumper height is permitted.

Headlight Use

Headlights are required to be on 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise, when visibility is less than 1000 feet, or in conditions of insufficient light/adverse weather.

Hazard Light Use

Hazard light use is permitted while driving.

Tire Chains

Tire chain usage is permitted for hazardous weather or other related incidents only, but may not damage the highway surface.

Studded Tires

Studded tires are permitted. Chains are required in snow emergencies.

Glass/Window Tinting

No person may operate an enclosed motor vehicle that is required to be registered in the state on any public highway, road, or street that has a sunscreening device on the windshield, the front sidewings, and side windows adjacent to the right and left of the driver and windows adjacent to the rear of the driver that do not meet the following requirements: (1) a sunscreening device in the windshield must be non-reflective and may not be red, yellow, or amber in color, and must not extend downward beyond the AS-1 line or more than 5 inches from the top of the windshield, whichever is closer to the top of the windshield; and (2) a sunscreening device used on the sidewings, side windows, and rear windows must be a non-reflective type and have total light transmission of not less than 28%.

No sunscreening device or tinting film may be applied or affixed to any window of a motor vehicle that has a luminous reflectance of light exceeding 20%.

If any sunscreen device or tinting film has been added to any windows behind the operator, 1 left and 1 right outside rearview mirror are required.

Any person with a medical condition requiring tinted windows may obtain a certificate from WYDOT upon WYDOT’s receipt of a signed statement from a licensed physician or optometrist.

Video Screens

No motor vehicle operated on Wyoming highways may be equipped with television-type receiving equipment located so that the screen is visible from the driver’s seat. However, television-type receiving equipment used exclusively for safety or law enforcement purposes and electronic displays used in conjunction with vehicle navigation systems are permitted.

Radar Detectors

Radar detectors are permitted for passenger vehicles but prohibited for use by commercial vehicles.

Windshield Stickers

No person may drive any motor vehicle with any sign, poster, or other material or substance upon or crack within the front windshield, side or rear windows of the vehicle that obstructs, obscures, or impairs the driver’s clear view of the highway or any intersecting highway.

Other Equipment Rules


Motorcycle Equipment

A person operating a motorcycle must ride only upon the permanent and regular seat and must not carry any other person unless the motorcycle is designed to carry more than 1 person.

Any motorcycle carrying a passenger, other than in a sidecar or enclosed cab, must be equipped with footrests for the passenger.

Handlebars must not be positioned so that the grips are above the shoulder height of the operator.

Drivers 18 years or under operating a motorcycle on public streets, highways, or thoroughfares must wear protective headgear.

Any person operating a motorcycle must have the headlamps activated at all times including daylight hours.

A motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or moped must be equipped with at least 1 head-lamp, at least 1 tail lamp, a white light that illuminates the license plate, at least 1 rear red reflector, and at least 1 stop lamp.

Motorcycle Licenses

Class M licenses are issued for motorcycles. The designation may be added to a license valid for any other class or may be issued as the only class on a license if the applicant is not licensed for any other classification.

Motorcycle Noise Limits

Every vehicle must be equipped, maintained, and operated so as to prevent excessive or unusual noise. Every motor vehicle must at all times be equipped with a muffler or other effective noise suppressing system in good working order and in constant operation. No person may use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device.

Mopeds & Other

Any person licensed to drive any class of vehicle may also drive a moped on public streets or highways.

Mopeds are not required to be registered.

Trailer Dimensions

Total length: 85 feet; trailer and motor home length: 60 feet; width: 8 feet 6 inches (excludes appurtenances up to width of rear view mirrors); height: 14 feet.

Trailer Brakes

Every combination of vehicles must have a service braking system that will stop the combination of vehicles within 40 feet from an initial speed of 20 mph on a level, dry, smooth, hard surface.

Every combination of vehicles must have a parking brake system adequate to hold the combination of vehicles on any grade on which it is operated under all conditions of loading on a surface free from snow, ice, or loose material.

Trailer Hitch/Signals

Ball hitch mounted on bumper is permitted.

Trailer Lighting

A motor vehicle which is greater than 50 inches in width, trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer or any other vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a combination of vehicles, shall be equipped with at least 2 tail lamps mounted on the rear; either as a part of the tail lamps or separately, 2 or more red reflectors; 2 or more stop lamps; and electrical flashing turn lamps.

Trailer Mirrors

Two mirrors are required, 1 on the left-hand side and 1 on the center of the windshield or the right-hand side. If the mirror on the windshield is obstructed, a right-hand mirror is required. It must be positioned to reflect to the driver a view of the highway to the rear of the trailer.

Trailer Speed Limits

Same as for passenger cars.

Trailer Towing


Trailer Other Provisions

Riding in towed trailers is not permitted.

Accident Reporting

Crashes are required to be immediately reported in cases of death, injury, or when property damage exceeds $1000.00.

Liability Laws

State has security-type law applicable in the event of an accident causing property damage in excess of $1,000 or personal injury or death.

A vehicle owner’s policy of liability insurance must insure the person named and, except for persons specifically excluded, any other person, as insured, using any covered motor vehicle with the express or implied permission of the named insured against loss from the liability for damages as follows: $25,000 because of bodily injury to or death of 1 person in any 1 accident and subject to the limit for 1 person; $50,000 because of bodily injury to or death of 2 or more persons in any 1 accident; and $20,000 because of injury to or destruction of property of others in any 1 accident.

State has non-resident service of process law and guest suit law.