Title Application

Title is required for most vehicles operated on the roads of the state, unless exempt. Snowmobiles must be titled and registered. DMV may issue titles for emergency fire apparatus providing public fire protection and ATVs. Titles are not issued for certain vehicles such as bicycles, golf carts, farm tractors and trailers, implements of husbandry, U.S. government owned vehicles, motor assisted scooters.

An application for title must be in the form specified by the DMV and must include: a full description of the vehicle, including the vehicle identification number (VIN); the name of the owner of the vehicle; the identity of any security interests in order of priority; the identity of the interest of any lessor; a disclosure of whether the vehicle is a replica or is constructed or assembled; and any other information the department may require.

A title does not require renewal and is valid until the vehicle is destroyed, dismantled, or substantially altered, or if any interest reflected on the title changes.

A replacement title may be issued if a certificate of title is lost, mutilated, or destroyed.

The DMV will not grant a title to a vehicle from another jurisdiction or any replica, assembled or reconstructed vehicle until a VIN inspection has been performed and the appropriate fee for such inspection has been paid.

If the name or address of a person changes from that displayed on the title, the person has 30 days to notify the DMV.

Title Transfer of Ownership

Upon the transfer of any interest in a vehicle, the transferee must submit an application for title to the DMV within 30 days of the transfer of interest. This provision does not apply if the change involves only a change in the security interest when the security interest holder or lessor is a bank or financial institution, the vehicle is transferred to a vehicle dealer, the vehicle is to be titled in another jurisdiction, or the vehicle has been destroyed.

Upon the transfer of interest in a vehicle, the transferor must notify the DMV within 10 days of the transfer.

Upon the transfer of interest in a vehicle, the transferor must also submit an odometer disclosure statement to the transferee, and both parties must sign the statement. This provision does not apply to a vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) rating of more than 16,000 lbs., a vehicle that is not self-propelled, a vehicle that is at least 10 years old, or a vehicle sold directly by the manufacturer to any agency of the United States.

Titles for Mobile Homes

Mobile homes (manufactured structures) are not titled by DMV. The Oregon Department of Consumer and Business Services, Building Codes Division, maintains manufactured structure ownership records.

Registration Application

All vehicles owned by a person in the state are subject to registration.  Exceptions include but are not limited to: farm tractors, road rollers, trolleys, traction engines; bicycles; ATVs; a vehicle that is not operated on the highways; trailers equipped with pneumatic tires that are not operated with a loaded weight of more than 1,800 lbs.; implements of husbandry; vehicles currently registered and titled in another country, state, or territory, unless the owner is a resident of the state or the vehicle is operated on the highways of the state for profit; vehicles owned and operated by the U.S. government and emergency fire-fighting apparatus providing public fire protection.

An application for registration must contain: the owner’s name and residence or business address; a description of the vehicle, including the VIN; and a statement that the applicant is a resident of Oregon, domiciled in the state or required to register under Oregon law.

If the application is for original registration, the applicant must also include a statement that the applicant is in compliance with financial responsibility requirements.

Registration will not be renewed unless the owner is able to certify compliance with financial responsibility requirements.

An application for registration will not be granted unless the applicant simultaneously applies for, or has already been issued, title to the vehicle in Oregon.

Upon registration, the DMV issues a registration card which contains the name of the owner, the make and model year of the vehicle, the VIN, title brand(s) if applicable, and the mileage as reported on the odometer at the time of application for title, if required, along with any odometer message.

The owner of a registered vehicle must carry the registration card in the vehicle at all times.

There is not period of grace for late registration.

Registration for Non-Residents

Non-residents are exempt from both titling and registration requirements. A person becomes a resident when he or she engages in gainful employment or takes any action to indicate the acquiring of residency such as: remaining in the state for 6 months or more; placing children in a public school without paying nonresident tuition fees; maintaining a main office, branch or warehouse in the state and operating motor vehicles in this state; or making a declaration of residency for purposes of acquiring a state license.

A person who is gainfully employed but takes no further steps to become a resident, such as a student paying non-resident tuition fees, is not considered a resident.

The owner of a private motor vehicle who lives in an adjoining state is permitted to operate their vehicle in the state without having it registered in the state for so long as the vehicle is registered in an adjoining state.

Military personnel in active duty in Oregon may maintain out-of-state vehicle registration.

Registration Type

Vehicle registration may be 1 of 5 types:

  • Quarterly registration (up to 4 calendar quarters): truck tractors, ambulances, armored cars, hearses, self-propelled cranes, commercial busses weighing 8,001 pounds or more; heavy motor vehicles including motor trucks, non-commercial buses, charitable non-profit vehicles weighing 10,001 pounds or more; manufactured structure toters and trucks registered as farm vehicles.
  • Annual registration:  for rent trailers (also can register for a 5-year period).
  • Two year (biennial): campers; low speed; mopeds; motor homes; fixed loads; motorcycles; passenger; snowmobiles; trailers (light, special use, travel).
  • Four-year initial registration: Certain new vehicles are required to be issued 4-year initial registration if it is a new vehicle (being titled with an MCO) and new plates are being issued at the same time. If a vehicle is subject to 4-year registration, the vehicle must have 4-year registration; there is no option to obtain only 2 years, except for vehicles owned by rental/leasing companies.
  • Permanent registration: special interest; antique; disabled veteran; heavy trailer; government (until ownership changes); school bus.

Emissions Inspection

Vehicles from the 1975 model year and newer must be submitted for emissions inspection in the Portland Vehicle Inspection Area. In the Medford-Ashland Air Quality Maintenance Area, light duty vehicles that are up to 20 years old and heavy duty vehicles must be submitted for emissions inspection. Visit the Oregon Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division for more information on the Department of Environmental Quality emissions testing program.

Motor vehicle pollution control systems in vehicles subject to emissions testing are required to be tested once during the period for which registration or renewal of registration for a motor vehicle is issued.

OBD is utilized as part of the state emissions inspection process.

Safety Inspection

No statewide periodic vehicle safety inspection requirement. A state police officer may require a person driving a vehicle or combination of vehicles to stop and submit the vehicle to an inspection of the mechanical condition and equipment of the vehicle.

Title and Registration Fees


Title Fee: $77.00

Registration Fee: $86.00 – 2 year; $172.00 – 4 year


Title Fee: $77.00

Registration Fee: $48.00 – 2 years; $96.00 – 4 years 16


Plate Fee: $22.00 for 1; $34.00 for 2

Registration Fee: $5.00

Driver License Fee: $26.50

Title Fee: $77.00

Special Plates: Same as plate fee + surcharge

The registration fee for vehicles with special registration is $15 for disabled veterans and former prisoners of war.

Plate Disbursement

Upon filing of an application for registration and payment of the appropriate fees, the DMV will issue 1 license plate for a moped, motorcycle, travel trailer, camper, antique vehicle, or vehicle of special interest. Two reflectorized license plates are issued for all other vehicles.

In lieu of new plates, the DMV issues stickers upon renewal of registration.

Special plates are available for special groups and vehicles including veterans’ organizations, institutions of higher education, nonprofit groups, amateur radio operators and special vehicles. Personalized plates are also available.

Disabled person parking placards issued upon application to DMV, with certification by licensed physician attesting to permanent or temporary disability.

License plates have a graphic background.

Transfer of Plates

In some circumstances, plates may be transferred to another vehicle upon completion of an application for transfer of plates and payment of the appropriate fee.

Driver License Examination

Prior to taking examination, applicant must prove eligibility. Examinations for a license include a test of the applicant’s eyesight; a test of the applicant’s knowledge of the traffic laws; and a behind-the-wheel test.

An applicant’s visual acuity must be 20/70 or better when looking through both eyes. An applicant may meet the eyesight standards with the use of a corrective lens or lenses. If an applicant’s visual acuity in the applicant’s best eye is worse than 20/40, the applicant will be restricted to daytime driving only. The person must have a field of vision of at least 110 degrees.

All drivers 50 years of age or older must have their eyesight checked by the DMV every time they apply for renewal.

The drive test may be waived if the person is applying for a commercial driver license or Class C license and the applicant holds a valid out-of-state license, or applies for the commercial license or Class C license within 1 year of the expiration of the license.

Graduated Driver Licensing

Oregon has a system of graduated licensing for novice drivers.

At age 15, individuals are eligible for an instruction/learner’s permit.

  • Permit holders may only drive when accompanied by a licensed driver who is at least 21 years old and who is occupying the front passenger seat.
  • Drivers must hold the permit for at least 6 months and accumulate at least 50 hours of certified driving (100 if person doesn’t complete an approved driver education course) under the supervision of a person who is at least 21 years old who has had a license for at least 3 years before being eligible for a provisional license.

At age 16, drivers are eligible for a provisional license.

  • The holder of a provisional license may not, for the first 6 months after issuance of the license, operate a vehicle that is carrying a passenger under 20 years of age who is not a member of the licensee’s immediate family.
  • For the second 6 months, the licensee may not operate a motor vehicle that is carrying more than 3 passengers who are under 20 years of age and who are not members of the licensee’s immediate family.
  • For the first year of the intermediate license, individuals may not drive between midnight and 5 a.m. unless driving to and from a school event for which no other transportation is available, for employment purposes, or when accompanied by a licensed driver who is at least 25 years of age.

At age 17, drivers are eligible for an unrestricted license.

Driver License Renewal

A first license, or renewal of expired license within 1 year, is valid for 8 years.  A limited term license is valid for the licensee’s authorized length of stay in the United States as verified using the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) program.

The DMV is required to provide reasonable notice of pending expiration by mail, unless the person’s license has been suspended, cancelled, or revoked, or the person has failed to notify the DMV of a change of address.  In addition, DMV is not required to notify the holder of a limited-term license of an approaching expiration date if the limited-term license was issued for a period of less than one year.

An application for renewal of an expired license must be completed within 1 year of expiration otherwise the licensee does not qualify for renewal and must apply as for an original license.

Drivers age 50 and over are subject to a vision screening at renewal.

Types of Driver Licenses

Class A Commercial License: authorizes the operation of any vehicle or combination of vehicles except any vehicle for which an endorsement is required.

Class B Commercial License: with applicable endorsements, authorizes the operation of any single vehicle and to tow a vehicle that is not in excess of 10,000 lbs. gross vehicle weight (GVW) and gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR).

Class C Commercial License: with applicable endorsements, authorizes the operation of any vehicle designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, if the GVW and GVWR of the vehicle is less than 26,001 lbs.; any vehicle used for the transportation of hazardous material if the GVW and GVWR of the vehicle is less than 26,001 lbs.; and any vehicle that may be operated by the holder of a Class C driver’s license.

Class C Driver License: authorizes the operation of any vehicle for which a commercial license is not required except those vehicles requiring an endorsement.

Individual license endorsements permit the operation of various vehicles including a motorcycle, school bus, double and triple trailers, and farm vehicles.

Distracted Driving

All drivers are prohibited from text messaging. Drivers under 18 are prohibited from using a mobile communication device while driving. Drivers over 18 may not use or hold a mobile electronic device in either hand or both hands while operating a motor vehicle on a public highway, including while temporarily stationary because of traffic, a traffic control device, or other momentary delays.


Wearing radio headsets while driving is permitted with some local exceptions.

Impaired Driving

Forty-nine states and the District of Columbia prohibit the operation of a motor vehicle while under the influence of intoxicating beverages, with the illegal per se limit set at 0.08 percent blood alcohol content (.08 BAC). Utah’s per se limit is 0.05 BAC. All 50 states and the District of Columbia set the legal drinking age at 21.

Every state’s chemical test law has ‘‘an implied consent’’ provision providing that any person operating a motor vehicle on a public highway, who is suspected of driving while intoxicated, consents to a chemical test to determine if he or she is inebriated. Failure to submit or pass such a test may cause the driver license to be suspended or revoked regardless of any court action finding the person innocent of the charge.

The most comprehensive resource on U.S. impaired driving laws is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Digest of Impaired Driving and Selected Beverage Control Laws.  NHTSA’s Digest is updated annually.

Oregon requires the use of ignition interlocks for all impaired driving offenders.

Move Over Law

State law requires drivers approaching any stationary vehicle displaying warning or flashing lights, including roadside assistance and tow vehicles, traveling in the same direction, to vacate the lane closest if safe and possible to do so, or to reduce speed to at least 5 mph under the posted speed limit.

Seat Belts

Seat belts are required for the driver and all passengers age 8 and older or over 4 feet 9 inches.

Violation of the seat belt law is a standard offense.

Riding in the cargo area of a pickup truck is not permitted for persons under age 18 unless secured by passenger restraint; some other exceptions apply.

Child Passenger Safety

Children under 8 weighing more than 40 lbs. and who are 4 feet 9 inches or shorter, must ride in a child safety system which elevates them (i.e. booster seat) so the lap and shoulder belt fit them properly.

Child passengers who weigh 40 lbs. or less must be properly secured in an approved child safety system.

Child passengers under 2 years of age must be properly secured in a child safety system in a rear-facing position.

Violation of the child restraint law is a standard offense.

Railroad Crossing

The operator of a vehicle must stop at a clearly marked stop line on the nearest side of a railroad crossing or, if there is no clearly marked stop line, not less than 15 feet or more than 50 feet from the nearest rail of a railroad crossing under any of the following circumstances: an electric signal warning of a coming train is given; a crossing gate is lowered; a flagman indicates the approach of a train; an approaching train is clearly visible; or an approaching train has given an audible signal.

The operator of a school bus, a school activity vehicle, a worker transport bus, any bus used to transport children to and from church or a church activity, a commercial bus, any vehicle used for transportation of persons for hire for a nonprofit entity, and any vehicle carrying hazardous materials must stop at a clearly marked stop line on the nearest side of a railroad crossing or, if there is no clearly marked stop line, not less than 15 or more than 50 feet from the nearest rail of a railroad crossing and may proceed only if it is safe to do so without manually changing gears.

School Buses

Color is “National School Bus Yellow.” The words “School Bus” are prominently marked on front and rear in letters not less than 8 inches high. When the school bus’ red warning lights are flashing, drivers meeting or overtaking a bus from either direction must stop before reaching the bus, and remain stopped until the flashing lights are turned off. However, on a divided highway with two roads separated by a median strip or barrier, one must stop only if on the same side of the road as the school bus.

Bumper Height

Modification of original vehicle bumper height is permitted; lighting equipment must stay within minimum/maximum heights. No portion of the vehicle, except tires, can be lower than the lowest portion of any rim of any wheel in contact with the roadway.

Headlight Use

Headlights must be used from sunset to sunrise, and when visibility is less than 1000 feet.

Hazard Light Use

Hazard light use is permitted while driving unless otherwise posted.

Tire Chains

Tire chains are permitted.

Studded Tires

Studded tires are permitted November 1 to March 31.

Glass/Window Tinting

Tinting material may be applied to the side and rear windows of a motor vehicle if the material has a light transmittance of 50% or more; a light reflectance of 13% or more; and the total light transmittance through the window is 35% or more.

Tinting material with a total light transmittance lower than 35% may be applied to the top 6 inches of a windshield, but may not be applied to any other portion of the windshield.

Tinting material with a total light transmittance lower than 35% may be applied to all windows of a multipurpose passenger vehicle that are behind the driver, but only if the vehicle is equipped with rearview mirrors on each side of the vehicle.

A signed affidavit, prescription, or letter by a physician or optometrist may permit the use of tinting material with a total light transmittance lower than 35%.  Drivers are to provide the affidavit, or prescription or letter, and a window tint certificate upon request by law enforcement. Window tint certificates are issued at the time of installation.

Mirror finish tinting, red tinting, yellow tinting, gold tinting, amber tinting, black tinting, or tinting material that is in liquid form and is brushed or sprayed on is prohibited.

Video Screens

It is unlawful to operate a motor vehicle on a highway if the vehicle is equipped with any television viewer, screen or other means of visually receiving a television broadcast if such device is located in the vehicle at any point forward of the back of the driver’s seat, or is visible to the operator while driving the motor vehicle.

Radar Detectors

Radar detectors are permitted but are prohibited for use by commercial vehicles.

Windshield Stickers

It is unlawful to place any material on a windshield if the material, sign, poster, or adhesive film prohibits or impairs the ability to see into or out of the vehicle.  Material is allowed on windows behind the driver.

Other Equipment Rules


Motorcycle Equipment

The operator of a motorcycle, and all passengers on a motorcycle, must wear an approved safety helmet.

Motorcycles and mopeds must be equipped with at least 1 and no more than 3 headlights, 1 tail light, 1 brake light, a registration plate light, turn signal lights, and rear reflectors.

Motorcycles manufactured before 1973 are not required to be equipped with turn signals.  Operators must use hand signals and may not operate the vehicle during periods of limited visibility.

A moped may not be equipped with more than 2 headlights.

At all times that a motorcycle or moped is operated on a highway, it must display a lighted headlight(s). Modulated headlights may be used during daylight hours.

It is unlawful to carry a passenger on a motorcycle unless the motorcycle is equipped with footrests for the passenger, and the passenger is seated on a permanent and regular seat.

Motorcycle Licenses

A motorcycle endorsement may be issued to the holder of a valid license provided any tests and demonstrations are successfully completed. A course or test may be waived if the applicant holds a valid out-of-state driver license that authorizes the person to operate a motorcycle, or applies within one year of the expiration of such a license.

Completion of an approved motorcycle rider education course is required to obtain an unrestricted motorcycle endorsement. A person applying for a three-wheel restricted motorcycle endorsement must successfully complete the motorcycle knowledge test. A skills test is not required for restricted motorcycle endorsements. An operator of an autocycle may operate the vehicle under a regular Class C non-commercial driver license; neither a restricted nor unrestricted endorsement is required.

A motorcycle instruction permit may be issued only to persons who are at least 16 years old and is valid for 1 year. The holder of a motorcycle instruction permit may only operate a motorcycle during daylight hours, must be accompanied by a motorcycle-endorsed rider on a separate motorcycle who is at least 21 years of age, may not carry any passengers, and must wear an approved helmet.

Motorcycle Noise Limits

The maximum sound level is 99 dBA for a stationary test at 20 inches. Standards vary further from city to city and county to county.

Mopeds & Other

The operator of a moped must wear an approved helmet. An operator of a moped may operate the vehicle under a regular Class C non-commercial driver license; an endorsement is not required.
It is unlawful to modify a moped so that it is in excess of 49 cc and/or capable of reaching speeds in excess of 30 mph.
A moped that is in excess of 49 cc or capable of reaching speeds in excess of 30 mph requires a motorcycle endorsement to operate.
It is unlawful to carry any passenger on a moped.

Trailer Dimensions

Total length: 65 feet; trailer length: 40 feet; motor home length: 45 feet; width: 8 feet 6 inches (for motor homes, excluding appurtenances up to 4 inches); height: 14 feet.

Trailer Brakes

Independent braking system not required, but combination of vehicles must be able to stop within legal limits. Every motor vehicle and combination of motor vehicles, except motorcycles and mopeds, shall at all times be equipped with a parking brake system.

Trailer Hitch/Signals

Adequate to control trailer under all conditions of varying speeds and weights; 1 safety chain is required on all trailers with 2 connections to the towing vehicle. The tensile strength of the safety chain must equal the gross weight of the trailer.

Trailer Lighting

All trailers are required to be equipped with 2 taillights, registration plate lights, 2 brake lights, turn signal lights, and 2 rear reflectors.

Any trailer that is 80 inches or more in overall width and less than 30 feet in overall length must be equipped with 2 front and 2 rear clearance lights, and front and rear identification lights.

Any trailer that is 30 feet or more in overall length must be equipped with 2 front and 2 rear clearance lights, front and rear identification lights, and intermediate side marker lights and side reflectors on each side of the vehicle.

Trailer Mirrors

All vehicles must be equipped with mirrors such that the driver has a clear and unobstructed view of the rear at all times and under all conditions of load that will enable the driver to see an approaching vehicle from a distance of not less than 200 feet.

Trailer Speed Limits

Any vehicle towing a trailer, any camper, and any vehicle with a registration weight of 8,000 lbs. or more must drive in the right lane of all roadways having 2 or more lanes for traffic proceeding in a single direction.

Trailer Towing

It is unlawful for a person to be a passenger in any towed vehicle. This provision does not apply to a 5th-wheel trailer if the 5th-wheel trailer is equipped with safety glazing materials on the windows and doors, an auditory or visual signaling device that may be used to contact the driver, and at least 1 unobstructed exit capable of being opened from both the interior and exterior.

Trailer Other Provisions

Trailers equipped with pneumatic tires that are not operated with a loaded weight of more than 1,800 lbs. are not required to be registered. Campers are subject to the same registration and titling requirements as any other vehicle.

Riding in towed trailers is permitted.


Crash Reporting

Oregon law requires the driver to fill out a crash report with DMV within 72 hours if there is:
• Injury or death resulting from the crash;
• More than $2,500 in damage to driver’s vehicle;
• More than $2,500 in damage to any vehicle and any vehicle is towed from the scene;
• More than $2,500 in damage to property other than a vehicle.
As of Jan. 1, 2019, Oregon requires drivers involved in a crash or who later suspect they may have been involved in a crash to:
• Stop and investigate if you think you have hit something.
• Take action if you didn’t realize at the time that it happened but later learn you may have hit something or someone. That includes calling 911 if you may have been in a crash resulting in an injury or fatality.
Failure to perform the duties of a driver involved in a motor vehicle crash can result in felony charges.

Liability Laws

State has future-proof law for uninsured accidents.

Antique motor vehicles that have been issued a permanent registration, farm trailers, farm tractors, Class I, III, and IV all-terrain vehicles, special interest vehicles, and implements of husbandry are exempt from the provisions.

The minimum liability policy coverage is $25,000 per person with an aggregate limit of $50,000 per accident and $20,000 for all damages to or destruction of property. Requires equal liability coverage for each family member of the insured in the same household.

If a person has been convicted of driving under the influence, the minimum insurance coverage is elevated to $50,000 per person with an aggregate limit of $100,000 per accident and $10,000 for all damages to or destruction of property.

State has non-resident service of process law and guest suit law. Mandatory 1 year license suspension for involvement in an uninsured accident.

State has “add-on,” no-fault insurance law. Sale and purchase mandatory. Benefits: Medical $10,000; 70% of wage loss up to $1,250 monthly (maximum 52 weeks); $30 per day loss of services (14-day retroactive waiting period and maximum 52 weeks).

Owners must certify liability insurance when initially registering, and provide insurance information when renewing.