Title Application

The owner of every vehicle in the state shall possess a certificate of title as proof of ownership of such vehicle.

Application for a certificate of title may be made to the Tax Commission or any motor license agent.

The application for a certificate of title shall contain the following information: a full description of the vehicle; the manufacturer’s serial or other identification number; the motor number and date on which the vehicle was first sold by the manufacturer or dealer to the owner; any distinguishing marks; a statement of the applicant’s source of title, and any security interest upon the title.

If the vehicle is within the last 7 model years, a declaration must be added to the application if the vehicle has been damaged or stolen, if the owner did or did not receive payment for the loss from an insurer, or the vehicle is titled or registered in a state that does not classify the vehicle or brand the title because of damage to or loss of the vehicle similar to the classifications or brands utilized by Oklahoma.

To obtain an original certificate of title for a vehicle being registered for the first time, the applicant must provide a manufacturer’s certificate of origin, which includes the manufacturer’s serial or identification number, the date on which the vehicle was first sold by the manufacturer to the dealer, any distinguishing marks, including the model and year the mark was made, and a statement of any security interests upon the vehicle.

Out-of-state vehicles being titled in Oklahoma must be inspected prior to issuing a certificate of title. The inspection consists of a comparison of the vehicle identification number on the vehicle with the number recorded on the ownership records, and a recording of the actual odometer reading.

Title Transfer of Ownership

A transferor must provide to the transferee a properly assigned certificate of title and, when applicable, an odometer disclosure statement. On the odometer disclosure, the transferor shall certify one of the following: that the odometer reading reflects the actual mileage; the odometer reading does not reflect the actual mileage; or the mileage is in excess of the mechanical limits of the odometer.

The following vehicles are exempted from the odometer disclosure statement: vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of more than 16,000 lbs.; a vehicle that is not self-propelled; a vehicle at least 10 years old; a vehicle sold by the manufacturer to any agency of the United States; or a new motor vehicle prior to its transfer to the first retail purchaser.

When transferring ownership of a vehicle, the transferor shall endorse on the back of the title a complete assignment with warranty of title, and a statement of all liens or encumbrances on the vehicle, sworn before a notary public (except transfer to an insurer resulting from a total loss claim), and must deliver the title to the transferee at the time of delivery of the vehicle.

Within 30 days of the delivery of the vehicle, the transferee shall present the assigned certificate of title and the insurance security verification to the Tax Commission or a motor license agent, along with the required fees and any taxes due.

Titles for Mobile Homes

Any person owning or purchasing a new or used manufactured home in Oklahoma shall obtain a certificate of title.

The application for certificate of title shall include the name of the owner; the serial or identification number of the manufactured home; a legal description or address of the location; and the actual retail selling price of the manufactured home, excluding taxes.

Upon receiving a proper application and payment of the required fees and ad valorem taxes, when applicable, the Tax Commission may issue a certificate of title, registration receipt and license plate and/or registration decal to the applicant.

Registration Application

Every owner possessing a certificate of title shall make an application for the registration of the vehicle with a motor license agent of the Tax Commission.

All applications for registration must contain a full description of the vehicle and the insurance security verification of the vehicle; and the correct name, address, driver’s license number, and insurance policy information, when applicable, of the vehicle owner. Application for registration of a manufactured home is to include the school district in which the home is to be located.

Upon the filing of a proper application and payment of the required fees, the Tax Commission shall assign 1 license plate and/or yearly decal. The decal shall have an identification number and the last 2 numbers of the year of expiration.

The purchaser of a new or used manufactured home shall register the home with the Tax Commission within 30 days of purchase.

There is a period of grace for late registration renewal, until the last day of the month after the renewal is due, during which no delinquent registration penalty is assessed.

Registration for Non-Residents

If the owner of a vehicle becomes employed in Oklahoma, the vehicle is deemed to be subject to tax in the state and, within 30 days from the date of employment, shall be registered in the state.

Any student certified as a full-time student by an institution of higher learning in Oklahoma who is not a resident of Oklahoma need not register a vehicle in the state.

Any vehicle, including a manufactured home, owned by a visiting non-resident and is properly registered in another state shall be subject to registration in Oklahoma if it remains in Oklahoma for any period in excess of 60 days.

Non-resident military personnel on active duty in Oklahoma may maintain home state vehicle registration. Non-resident military personnel stationed in Oklahoma, or Oklahoma resident personnel stationed out of state, may register any non-commercial vehicle in Oklahoma for annual fee of $21.00. Manufactured homes owned by Oklahoma resident active duty military personnel are entitled to the special military annual registration rate only when the manufactured home is also located out of state.

Registration Type

The certificate of registration for a commercially registered motor vehicle shall be carried at all times in the vehicle, and shown on demand of any law enforcement officer.

The annual registration period for manufactured homes and vehicles registered with permanent non-expiring license plates begins on January 1 of each year.

The full registration fee is required for vehicles registered between January 1 and March 31, 75% of the fee is due for vehicles registered between April 1 and June 30, 50% for vehicles registered between July 1 and September 30, and 25% for vehicles registered between October 1 and November 30. Vehicles registered in the month of December shall be registered for the following year.

All other vehicles, including passenger vehicles, are registered annually on a staggered system. Twelve registration periods are set up, with each period lasting 1 month.

Most registration types may be renewed via mail and some may be renewed online. Additional fees apply. The Tax Commission provides registration renewal notification via a mailed postcard or, at the owner’ option, email.

Emissions Inspection

Emissions inspections are not required.

Safety Inspection

No statewide periodic vehicle safety inspection requirement. Law enforcement may, upon reasonable cause to believe that a vehicle is unsafe or not properly equipped as required, require that the driver of the vehicle stop and submit the vehicle to an inspection by the officer.

Title and Registration Fees


Title Fee: $11.00

Registration Fee: By year. All fees include an additional $5.75 in other fees.*


Title Fee: $11.00

Registration Fee: n/a


Plate Fee: $9.00

Registration Fee: $9.00

Driver’s License Fee: $10.00

Title Fee: $11.00

Special Plates: Ranges from $5.00 – $42.00, plus regular registration fees

*$91.00 for the 1st – 4th years; $81.00 for the 5th – 8th years; $61.00 for the 9th – 12th years; $41.00 for the 13th – 16th years; $21.00 for 17+ years.

Plate Disbursement

The license plate shall be affixed to the rear of the vehicle.

The yearly decal will validate the license plate for each registration period.

The license plate and decal shall be of such size, color, design, and numbering as the Tax Commission directs. Each license plate shall have a space for the placement of the yearly decals.

Temporary license plates placed on newly purchased vehicles are valid for up to 30 days.

Personalized license plates will be issued with a maximum of 7 letters or numbers, or a combination of 4 letters and 3 numbers. No punctuation marks or symbols are allowed.

Personalized license plates for motorcycles will be issued with a maximum of 6 letters or numbers, or a combination of 4 letters and 2 numbers.

Disabled license plates issued upon application to Oklahoma Tax Commission – no additional charge.

Transfer of Plates

The holder of a license plate may transfer that plate to a new vehicle, unless it is to a new vehicle owner.

The vehicle owner, after transferring the plate from 1 vehicle to the next, must also obtain a replacement plate for the 1st vehicle by payment of an additional fee. If the new vehicle was previously registered, the owner shall return the plate from the new vehicle and place the replacement plate on the old vehicle.

A registration listing the tag as being transferred will be issued, along with a new decal showing the expiration of the registration, following the payment of all required fees.

Driver's License Examination

Every applicant for an original Class A, B, C, or D license must pass a vision test (20/60 visual acuity required for Class D; 20/40 required for Class A, B, or C), a written test concerning the applicant’s ability to read and understand highway signs and his or her knowledge of the traffic laws of the state, and a road test.

The DPS may waive any portion of the test for applicants with a valid out-of-state license.

Holders of Class A, B, or C licenses are eligible for a Class D license without taking another test.

Graduated Driver’s Licensing

Oklahoma has a system of graduated licensing for novice drivers.

At age 15 ½, if receiving instruction in an approved driver education course, or through an approved parent-taught driver education course, and individual may apply for a learner’s permit. The written test for a permit may be waived if the individual has completed driver education. Individuals who do not take driver education must wait until age 16 to receive a learner’s permit.

  • Drivers must hold the permit for 6 months and certify that they have received 50 hours (10 at night) of practice driving.
  • They may only practice between 5 a.m. and 10 p.m.
  • Permit holders must be supervised at all times by a licensed driver at least 21.

At age 16, drivers are eligible for an intermediate license.

  • Intermediate license holders may not drive unsupervised between the hours of 10 p.m. and 5 a.m.
  • Intermediate license holders are also prohibited from transporting more than 1 passenger unless supervised (family members, guardians, and licensed drivers over 21 are exempted).

At age 16 ½, after holding the intermediate license for at least 6 months, drivers are eligible for an unrestricted license. Individuals who don’t complete an approved driver education course must hold the intermediate license for 1 year before being eligible for an unrestricted license.

At age 18, an individual is eligible for a restricted commercial license who has passed all portions of the commercial driver license examination other than the driving test. The licensee may drive a commercial vehicle only when accompanied by a licensed commercial driver who is at least 21 years of age.

Driver’s License Renewal

A licensee may renew a license by application, furnishing 2 forms of identification, and payment of the required fee.

License fees for non-commercial licenses are reduced for drivers age 62-64 and waived for drivers age 65 and over.

Licensees applying for renewal may be required to take an examination if they have proven accident records or apparent physical defects.

Renewal by mail is only permitted for every other renewal though the OK DPS has authority to develop a procedure for online renewal.

In the event a license is lost or destroyed, a replacement may be obtained by paying the required fee and furnishing 2 forms of identification.

Any person or spouse of a person on active duty or civilian contractor with the U.S. Armed Forces living outside of Oklahoma having a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Oklahoma for the operation of motor vehicles upon the highways of the state shall have, without additional charge, a valid license for the duration of such service or employment and for a period of 60 days from and after the return of the person or spouse of the person to Oklahoma from such service or employment. Does not confer driving privileges in any jurisdictions other than Oklahoma.

Any person or the spouse or dependent of a person who is on active duty with the Armed Forces of the United States or who is currently employed as a civilian contractor with the Armed Forces of the United States living outside of Oklahoma and who has a valid Class D driver license and does not require any material changes may apply for up to 3 consecutive renewals or replacements by mail or online.

Types of Driver's Licenses

Commercial Licenses:

  • Class A: must be 18 years of age. The holder of a Class A license may drive any vehicle in Classes A, B, C, or D. A Class A motor vehicle includes any combination of vehicles not listed as a Class D vehicle with a GVWR of at least 26,001 lbs., provided that the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 lbs.
  • Class B: must be 18 years of age. The holder of a Class B license may drive any vehicle in Classes B, C, or D. A Class B motor vehicle includes any single vehicle not listed as a Class D vehicle with a GVWR of at least 26,001 lbs., or any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or less. This class also applies to a bus with a GVWR of at least 26,001 lbs. and designed to transport 16 or more persons.
  • Class C: must be 18 years of age. The holder of a Class C license may drive any vehicle in Classes C or D. A Class C motor vehicle includes any single or combination of vehicles not listed as a Class D vehicle, other than a Class A or B vehicle, that is either required to be placarded for hazardous materials or designed to transport 16 or more persons.

No person may drive a hazardous vehicle unless that person is at least 21 years of age and holds a Class A, B, or C license with a hazardous material endorsement.

Non-Commercial License: A Class D license is given to persons at least 16 years of age who are eligible to drive a Class D non-commercial motor vehicle. Class D vehicles include any vehicle marked and used as a firefighting or law enforcement vehicle; designed and used solely as a recreational vehicle; is a single or combination vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or less; or is a single or combination vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 lbs. or more, and is used for agricultural purposes.

In order to operate a motorcycle, licensees must obtain a motorcycle endorsement on their regular license.

Distracted Driving

Texting while driving is banned for all drivers. Drivers can be cited for not devoting full time and attention to driving if observed by a police officer driving in such a manner that poses an articulable danger to other persons on the roadway or if the driver is involved in an accident. Learner’s permit and intermediate license holders may not use a hand-held electronic device while driving.  School bus drivers are prohibited from texting while driving.


No prohibition on wearing of headsets while driving.

Impaired Driving

Forty-nine states and the District of Columbia prohibit the operation of a motor vehicle while under the influence of intoxicating beverages, with the illegal per se limit set at 0.08 percent blood alcohol content (.08 BAC). Utah’s per se limit is 0.05 BAC. All 50 states and the District of Columbia set the legal drinking age at 21.

Every state’s chemical test law has ‘‘an implied consent’’ provision providing that any person operating a motor vehicle on a public highway, who is suspected of driving while intoxicated, consents to a chemical test to determine if he or she is inebriated. Failure to submit or pass such a test may cause the driver’s license to be suspended or revoked regardless of any court action finding the person innocent of the charge.

The most comprehensive resource on U.S. impaired driving laws is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Digest of Impaired Driving and Selected Beverage Control Laws.  NHTSA’s Digest is updated annually.

Oklahoma requires the use of ignition interlocks for first offenders.

Move Over Law

State law requires drivers approaching a stationary emergency vehicle displaying flashing lights, including wreckers, traveling in the same direction, to vacate the lane closest if safe and possible to do, or slow to a speed safe for road, weather, and traffic conditions. Also included in the law are road maintenance vehicles and any stationary vehicle displaying flashing lights.

Seat Belts

Seat belts are required for the driver and all front seat passengers age 13 and older.

Violation of the seat belt law is a standard offense.

Riding in the cargo area of a pickup truck is permitted.

Child Passenger Safety

Children at least age 8 or over 4 feet 9 inches in height must be properly restrained in a seat belt in the front seat of a vehicle.

Children age 4 to 8 and under 4 feet 9 inches in height must be properly restrained in a child passenger restraint system or booster seat.

Children under age 4 must be properly restrained in a child passenger restraint system.  The restraint system shall be rear-facing until age 2 or the child reaches the height or weight limit of the system.

Children weighing more than 40 lbs. may be transported in the back seat of the motor vehicle while wearing only a lap belt, if the back seat of the motor vehicle is not equipped with a combination lap and shoulder belt.

Violation of the child restraint law is a standard offense.

Railroad Crossing

A driver must stop between 15 and 50 feet from a railroad crossing whenever a clearly visible electric or mechanical signal gives warning of the immediate approach of a train; a crossing gate is lowered; a human flagman gives a signal of the approach or passage of a train; a train approaching within 1,500 feet of the crossing emits a signal audible from such distance and the train is an immediate hazard; or when the approaching train is plainly visible and is in hazardous proximity to the crossing.

The following vehicles are required to stop at all railroad crossings: motor vehicles carrying passengers for hire; commercial and school buses; vehicles carrying explosive substances or flammable liquids; and commercial vehicles carrying hazardous materials.

School Buses

The driver of a vehicle approaching a school bus from either direction must stop his vehicle whenever the bus is stopped to take on or discharge students and has its red loading signals in operation.

Drivers of vehicles on the other side of a divided highway need not stop for a school bus taking on or discharging students.

The above rules apply to vehicles approaching church buses as well.

Bumper Height

Modification of original vehicle bumper height is permitted. Note: Headlamps cannot be mounted at a height measured from center of the lamp no greater than 54 inches nor less than 22 inches.

Headlight Use

Headlights must be used 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise, when visibility less than 1000 feet, or in conditions of insufficient light/adverse weather.

Hazard Light Use

Hazard light use is not permitted while driving except in emergency situations and to indicate a traffic hazard.

Tire Chains

Tire chains are permitted.

Studded Tires

Studded tires are permitted November 1 to April 1.

Glass/Window Tinting

For model year 1996 and later, side and back windows may have window tinting that allows at least 25% light transmission, and has a luminous reflectance no greater than 25%.

For model year 1995 and earlier, side windows to the rear of the driver, and back windows may have window tinting that allows at least 10% light transmission, and has a luminous reflectance no greater than 25%.

Windshields may have transparent material affixed from the top of the windshield to either the AS-1 line or for a maximum of 5 inches, whichever is closest to the top of the windshield. The material may not be red or amber in color.

Video Screens

It is unlawful to install a television set in any location where it is visible from the driver’s seat.

Radar Detectors

Radar detectors are permitted for passenger vehicles but prohibited for use by commercial vehicles.

Windshield Stickers

No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sign, poster, or other nontransparent material upon any window that obstructs the driver’s clear view of the roadway.

Other Equipment Rules


Motorcycle Equipment

Every person under the age of 18 years must wear a helmet.

Lighted lamps and illuminating devices are required at all times. A motorcycle may be equipped with auxiliary lighting.

Every motorcycle and motor-driven cycle shall be equipped with either 1 or 2 head-lamps. Headlamps or lamps shall be capable of revealing a person or vehicle from a distance of at least 100 feet when driving up to 25 mph, a distance of at least 200 feet when driving between 25 and 35 mph, and 300 feet when driving 35 mph or more.

One brake light is required on the rear of the vehicle. At least 1 taillight and 1 rear reflector are also required.

No driver of any 2-wheeled motor vehicle may carry any other person on the vehicle, unless the vehicle has a wheel diameter of at least 12 inches, and either a double seating device with double footrests or a side car attachment.

Handlebars on motorcycles and motor scooters shall not exceed the eye level of the operator.

Two rearview mirrors with a reflection surface of at least 3 inches in diameter are required. One mirror shall be mounted on each side of the vehicle, and positioned to allow the operator to clearly view the roadway for a distance of 200 feet to the rear.

A windshield of such dimensions as to protect the operator from foreign objects is required, unless the operator wears either goggles or a face shield.

Both wheels must have brakes installed, with separate controls to operate each brake.

A properly operating speedometer, capable of registering at least the maximum legal speed limit is required.

A fender is required over each wheel.

Motorcycle Licenses

All motorcycle operators are required to obtain a Class A-D motor vehicle license, with a motorcycle endorsement added. There is no separate license for a motorcycle operator.

Any new applicant for such a license must complete a written exam, vision exam, and driving examination for a motorcycle to be eligible for a motorcycle endorsement. The driving and written tests may be waived upon proof of completion of a certified Motorcycle Safety Foundation rider course. Drivers under 18 must complete a certified state-approved motorcycle basic rider course.

Motorcycle Noise Limits

No statewide motorcycle noise limit restriction.

Mopeds & Other

No person shall operate a motor-driven cycle or motor scooter at a speed greater than 35 mph.

Moped operators are required to have a Class A, B, C, or D license.

Operators under 18 must use approved helmet.

Trailer Dimensions

Total length: 65 feet; trailer length: 40 feet; width: 8 feet 6 inches (excluding safety equipment, retracted RV awnings up to 8 inches, and appurtenances up to 4 inches); height: 13 feet 6 inches.

Vehicles operating under special permits must have dual wheels for any vehicles moving loads between 22,000 lbs. and 23,000 lbs., and requiring a minimum weight capacity rating of 20,000 lbs. for the steering axle of any vehicle moving loads greater than 23,000 lbs.

Trailer Brakes

Every trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer with a GVWR of 3,000 lbs. or more shall be equipped with independent braking system adequate to control the movement of and to stop such a vehicle.

Trailer Hitch/Signals

Every trailer, semitrailer (unless drawn by a truck-tractor), or manufactured home shall be equipped with chains or cables to prevent parting from the towing vehicle in the event that the coupling device breaks or becomes disengaged; or chains, cables, or a safety device that provides strength, security of attachment, and directional stability equal to or greater than that provided by safety chains that prevent the parting from the towing vehicle.

Trailer Lighting

On every trailer or semitrailer with a GVWR over 3,000 lbs., there must be the following equipment: on the front, 2 clearance lamps, with 1 on each side; on each side, 2 side marker lamps and 2 reflectors, with 1 each at the front and the rear; and on the rear, 2 clearance lamps and 2 reflectors, with 1 each at either side.

Every trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer with a GVWR of 3,000 lbs. or less must have 2 reflectors, with 1 on either side of the rear of the vehicle. If the trailer is equipped to obscure the stop lights of the towing vehicle, 1 stop light is required.

Trailer Mirrors

Every motor vehicle towing another vehicle must be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the roadway for at least 200 feet to the rear.

Trailer Speed Limits


Trailer Towing

Every trailer, semitrailer, or manufactured home shall be equipped with a coupling device designed and constructed so that the trailer will follow in substantially the same path as the vehicle towing it without whipping or swerving from side to side.

Trailer Other Provisions

Riding in towed trailers is permitted.

Accident Reporting

Crashes are required to be immediately reported when involving death or injury.  Crashes involving property damage exceeding $500.00 must be reported within 6 months.

Liability Laws

State has security-type law applicable in event of accident causing property damage in excess of $300 or personal injury or death.

The minimum liability coverage limits for a motor vehicle are $25,000 for bodily injury to or death of 1 person in any 1 accident; $50,000 for bodily injury to or death of more than 1 person in any 1 accident; and $25,000 for injury to or destruction of property of others in any 1 accident.

Applicants for license plates must certify that liability insurance is in effect or deposit a bond of $75,000 or cash of $75,000. Failure to maintain liability insurance bond or security on currently licensed vehicles will cause suspension of license plates and vehicle registration.

State has non-resident service of process law; does not have guest suit law.