Title Application

The certificate of ownership must contain on its front the date issued, the name and address of the registered owner and the owner or lienholder, a description of the vehicle, and a reading of the vehicle’s odometer. The rear of the certificate shall contain forms for notice to the DMV of a transfer of title or interest of the owner or lienholder and an application for registration by the transferee.

If any certificate of ownership is lost, the registrant shall apply immediately for a duplicate.

When a new vehicle is sold in Nevada for the first time, the seller shall complete and execute a manufacturer’s certificate of origin or a manufacturer’s statement of origin and a dealer’s report of sale. The report of sale must include a description of the vehicle and the names and addresses of both the seller and buyer. If a security interest is taken by the seller or another party, the name and address of the secured party must be entered on the report of sale as well.

When a used vehicle is sold in Nevada by a dealer to any person, except a licensed dealer, the seller shall complete and execute a dealer’s report of sale that includes a description of the vehicle and the names and addresses of the seller and buyer. If a security interest exists at the time of sale, the name and address of the secured party must also be entered on the report of sale.

The seller or dealer shall collect the fee for a certificate of title, submit the original of the dealer’s report of sale and the manufacturer’s certificate or statement of origin, and remit the fee collected to the DMV within 20 days of the execution of the dealer’s report of sale for a new vehicle, and 30 days for a used vehicle. For used vehicles, the dealer must also remit the properly endorsed certificate of title or ownership previously issued for the vehicle.

Upon receipt of the completed application and payment of all fees, the DMV will issue a certificate of ownership. The buyer will receive the certificate if there is no security interest, but if there is, the secured party will receive it.

If a secured party receives the certificate of ownership, that party shall deliver it to the buyer within 15 days of the completed performance of the security agreement.

Title Transfer of Ownership

Upon transfer of title, the person or persons whose title or interest is to be transferred and the transferee shall write their signatures with pen and ink upon the certificate of ownership issued for the vehicle, together with the residential and mailing address of the transferee in the appropriate spaces provided on the back of the certificate of ownership.

The transferee shall immediately apply for registration in any county, and shall pay the governmental services tax due.

Titles for Mobile Homes

Mobile home titling is managed by the Manufactured Housing Division of the Nevada Department of Business and Industry.

Registration Application

Applications are to be made in person, and must contain the signature of the owner; his or her residential and mailing address; a declaration of the county where he or she intends the vehicle to be based; a brief description of the vehicle, including the make, model, engine, identification or serial number, whether new or used, the last license number, if known and state of issuance; if new, the date of sale to the person first purchasing or operating the vehicle; proof of adequate insurance; and if required, evidence of emission control compliance.

Applications for new motor vehicles may be made at the dealer where the vehicle is purchased, if that dealer is authorized by the DMV.

Every vehicle being registered for the first time in Nevada must be taxed for the purposes of the governmental services tax for a 12-month period.

New Nevada residents must obtain their driver license and vehicle registration within 30 days.

When registering a vehicle, the applicant must pay all fees for license plates and registration, and pay the applicable taxes. Once this is done, the DMV shall issue the certificate of registration and the license plate or plates.

Registrations expire on midnight of the day specified on the receipt of registration, and the DMV shall mail applications for renewal to the registrant prior to the date of expiration. The applications shall include the amount of the governmental services tax to be collected and a notice informing the registrant of the need to maintain vehicle insurance.

Registrants can renew their registration in person at the DMV or at an authorized inspection station or authorized station or by mail or by electronic means.

If any certificate of registration is lost, the registrant shall apply immediately for a duplicate.

Registration for Non-Residents

New residents must register vehicle and have it inspected in Nevada within 30 days of establishing residence in Nevada, or before the out-of-state registration expires, whichever comes first. Residency is established when a person’s legal residence is in Nevada, when a person engages in intrastate business so that a vehicle’s home state is Nevada, when a person resides in Nevada and is employed in Nevada, or when a person declares himself to be a resident to obtain privileges not given to non-residents.

Tourists, out-of-state students, border state employees, or seasonal residents need not register their vehicles in Nevada until they have been driving the vehicle in Nevada for more than an aggregate of 30 days.

Military personnel on active duty in Nevada may maintain vehicle registration in home state.

Registration Type

Staggered; expires on a 365-day basis. Any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer operated by a resident must be registered.

Mobile homes and mopeds need not be registered.

Motor vehicle registrations are valid for 1 year.  Trailers and semi-trailers may be registered for 3 years.

Emissions Inspection

Only vehicles in urban and some suburban portions of Clark and Washoe counties are required to be tested. Visit the Nevada Emissions Control Program for more information.

Smog checks are required on all gasoline and diesel powered cars and trucks manufactured in 1968 of after.

New vehicles on their first or second registration are exempt.  Diesel vehicles with a manufacturers gross vehicle weight rating over 14,000 lbs., alternative fuel vehicles, new hybrid electric vehicles (for the first five model years) and vehicles registered as a classic or replica are exempt.

Tests are required annually with registration renewal.

If a vehicle fails a required emissions inspection, registration for the vehicle will be cancelled unless the owner has the vehicle repaired so that the vehicle is in compliance within 30 days of the failed test, or if the owner has applied for a waiver. A waiver may be issued to a vehicle owner in Washoe County if the owner has spent at least $200 on repairs, and a vehicle owner in Clark County may be issued a waiver if he spends $450 on repairs.

OBD is utilized as part of the state emissions inspection process.

Safety Inspection

No statewide periodic vehicle safety inspection requirement. Peace officers and DMV inspectors may require drivers to stop and submit the vehicle to an inspection of the mechanical condition or equipment.

Title and Registration Fees


Title Fee: $28.25

Registration Fee: By number of cars.*


Title Fee: $20.00

Registration Fee: $33.00 + $6.00 for motorcycle safety course.


Plate Fee: $5.50

Registration Fee: $5.00

Driver’s License Fee: $17.00

Title Fee: $20.00

Special Plates: $36.00 for new; $20.00 renewa

*$33.00 each for the first 4 cars; $16.50 for 5-6 cars; $12.00 for 7-8 cars; and $8.00 for 9 or more cars.

Plate Disbursement

The DMV shall furnish 2 license plates to every registered motor vehicle other than a motorcycle and 1 should be placed on the front and 1 on the rear.

The DMV may issue license plate stickers or tabs upon renewal of registration. Effective July 1, 2016, license plates shall be reissued every 8 years.

License plates assigned to a passenger car or truck must contain a space for the name of a county or other identification, and a designation which consists of a group of 3 numerals followed by a group of 3 letters.  Personalized plates may have up to seven letter/number combinations.

One license plate will be assigned to motorcycles; it is to be mounted on the rear of the motorcycle, and shall consist of 6 letters or numerals.

Each license plate must be of sufficient size to be plainly readable from a distance of 100 feet during daylight, and treated to reflect light and to be at least 100 times brighter than conventional painted number plates.

The color scheme for license plates is blue on sunset.

Personalized plates are available for an added fee for passenger cars, trucks, motorcycles, or trailers.

Specially designed plates are available for an added fee for a wide range of themes.

Special license plates and permits for disabled drivers are available by application to DMV.

License plates for registered trailers will be manufactured in 2 sizes, with the smaller size being issued to trailers with a GVWR less than 1,000 lbs. The smaller plates will have 6 numbers, and the larger plates will have 1 letter and 5 numbers.

Transfer of Plates

The holder of the original registration may transfer license plates to a new vehicle, provided that the vehicle is eligible for that class of license plates and the vehicle registration has been transferred to the new vehicle.

Driver's License Examination

When a person with a valid license from another state applies for a Nevada license, that application is to be treated as an application for transfer.

A driver’s license examination shall include tests of the applicant’s ability to understand official devices used to control traffic and the applicant’s knowledge of safe driving practices and traffic laws; a vision test (20/40 visual acuity required) or report from an ophthalmologist, optician, or optometrist; and a road test.

The DMV may waive an examination for a person holding a valid license from another jurisdiction, unless that person is under the age of 21, has had his or her license suspended, revoked, or canceled in the preceding 4 years, has been convicted of certain crimes in the preceding 7 years, or has restrictions on his or her driver’s license.

Graduated Driver's Licensing

Nevada has a system of graduated licensing for novice drivers.

At age 15 ½, individuals are eligible for a learner’s permit.

  • During this stage individuals must be supervised by a driver at least 21 years old.
  • Drivers must hold the permit for at least 6 months, complete an approved driver education course and certify that they’ve received 50 hours (10 at night) of supervised driving practice before being eligible for an intermediate license.

At age 16, drivers are eligible for an intermediate license.

  • Intermediate license holders are prohibited from driving unsupervised from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. (secondarily enforced).
  • For the first 6 months, intermediate license holders are also prohibited from transporting any passengers under age 18, family members excepted (secondarily enforced).

At age 18, drivers are eligible for an unrestricted license.

Driver education is required for all license applicants under age 18, unless no program is offered within 30 miles of the home.

Driver’s License Issuance/Application

Every application for a driver’s license must contain the following: the required fee; the full name, date of birth, address, and brief physical description of the applicant; and an indication of whether the applicant has ever been licensed to drive before, and if so, by what state and whether the license has ever been suspended or revoked. In addition, the applicant must furnish proof of age by showing a birth certificate, and also provide proof of his or her social security number.

Upon passage of the examination and payment of the required fees, the DMV shall issue a license that indicates the type or class of vehicles the licensee may drive, a unique number assigned to the licensee, a color photograph, full name, date of birth, mailing address, brief physical description, and the licensee’s signature.

A person may request that the state change his or her full legal name on a driver’s license, including a motorcycle driver’s license, issued by the Department upon adoption, marriage, divorce or the death of a spouse.

The application of any person under the age of 18 must be signed and verified by a parent or guardian, but if the applicant has neither, by his or her employer or any responsible person willing to assume liability.

A person shall not drive any motor vehicle upon a highway unless he or she has a valid license.

The state may refuse to accept a driver’s license issued by another state or the District of Columbia if it is determined that the other state or the District of Columbia has less stringent licensing standards.

Driver’s License Renewal

Current driver’s licenses expire on the 4th anniversary of the licensee’s birthday nearest the date of issuance or renewal.

Nevada is transitioning to licenses that will be valid for eight years instead of four.

Drivers born in an even-numbered year will receive an eight-year license at the next renewal. Drivers born in an odd-numbered year will receive a four-year license at any renewal through 2017 and eight-year license with renewal in 2018 or later.

Motorists age 65 and older will receive a 4-year license only.

The new expiration terms do not apply to license with a shorter term issued to immigrants and certain other motorists.

The DMV may require an applicant for a renewal license to pass a vision test.

Every license is renewable at any time before its expiration upon application and payment of the required fee.

No later than 30 days before the expiration of a licensee’s license, the DMV shall mail an expiration notice.

The DMV shall allow for renewal of a license by mail, in exchange for an additional fee. The licensee shall provide a vision report with the application from an ophthalmologist, optometrist, or agency of the state taken within 90 days of the application.

All persons who renew a license after it has expired may be required to complete all portions of the original license examination.

Driver authorization cards expire on the fourth anniversary of the holder’s birthday, measured in the case of initial issuance or renewal from the birthday nearest the date of issuance or renewal.

Types of Driver's Licenses

Class A: any combination of vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) of 26,001 lbs., if the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the trailing vehicle is over 10,000 lbs. The holder may also drive a Class B or Class C vehicle, but not a motorcycle unless he or she has an appropriate endorsement.

Class B: any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 lbs. or more, or any vehicle which is towing another vehicle that does not have a GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. The holder may also drive a Class C vehicle, but not a motorcycle unless he or she has an appropriate endorsement.

Class C: any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, which does not meet the definition of a Class A or Class B vehicle, including passenger vehicles and mopeds. The holder of a Class C license may not drive a motorcycle without the appropriate endorsement, tow a vehicle with a GVWR of less than 10,000 lbs. unless the holder obtains an R endorsement, or drive a combination of vehicles exceeding 70 feet in length.

Class M: the holder may drive a motorcycle, trimobile, or moped.

Distracted Driving

Texting while driving and handheld cell phone use while driving are prohibited.


No prohibition on wearing of headsets while driving.

Impaired Driving

Forty-nine states and the District of Columbia prohibit the operation of a motor vehicle while under the influence of intoxicating beverages, with the illegal per se limit set at 0.08 percent blood alcohol content (.08 BAC). Utah’s per se limit is 0.05 BAC. All 50 states and the District of Columbia set the legal drinking age at 21.

Every state’s chemical test law has ‘‘an implied consent’’ provision providing that any person operating a motor vehicle on a public highway, who is suspected of driving while intoxicated, consents to a chemical test to determine if he or she is inebriated. Failure to submit or pass such a test may cause the driver’s license to be suspended or revoked regardless of any court action finding the person innocent of the charge.

The most comprehensive resource on U.S. impaired driving laws is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Digest of Impaired Driving and Selected Beverage Control Laws.  NHTSA’s Digest is updated annually.

Nevada requires the use of ignition interlocks for all impaired driving offenders.

Move Over Law

State law requires drivers traveling in the same direction to reduce speed below the posted speed limit and, if safe and possible to do so, vacate the lane closest to stationary emergency vehicles and tow vehicles displaying flashing lights.

Seat Belts

Seat belts are required for the driver and all passengers age 6 and older and weighing more than 60 lbs.

Violation of the seat belt law is a secondary offense.

Riding in the cargo area of a pickup truck is not permitted for persons under age 18 unless in farming or parade operations; other exceptions apply.

Child Passenger Safety

Children under age 6 and who weigh less than 60 lbs. must be secured in a child passenger restraint system.

Violation of the child restraint law is a standard offense.

Railroad Crossing

Whenever a person driving a vehicle approaches a railroad crossing and a clearly visible traffic-control or railroad device gives warning of the immediate approach of a train, the driver shall stop the vehicle 15-50 feet from the nearest track of the railroad.

A driver is also required to stop whenever a crossing gate is lowered or a flagman gives a signal of the approach or passage of a train, whenever a train approaching within 1,500 feet of the highway crossing emits an audible signal and the train is an immediate hazard, or whenever an approaching train is plainly visible and is in hazardous proximity to such crossing.

Any motor vehicle carrying passengers for hire, any school bus carrying any school child, any vehicle having a normal operating speed of 10 mph or less, or any vehicle carrying an explosive or flammable liquid must stop 15-50 feet from the nearest track of the railroad at all railroad crossings.

School Buses

The driver of any vehicle may not overtake or pass, from either direction, a school bus that has stopped and is displaying flashing red lights. This does not apply to vehicles traveling on the opposite side of a divided highway.

A school bus shall not exceed 55 mph when carrying pupils to and from school or any school activity.

Bumper Height

The maximum bumper height for a passenger car is 24 inches.

Headlight Use

Headlights are required to be on 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise, and when visibility is less than 1000 feet.

Hazard Light Use

Hazard light usage is not permitted while driving.

Tire Chains

Tire chain usage is permitted for hazardous weather or other related incidents only, but may not damage the highway surface.

Studded Tires

Studded tires are permitted October 1 to April 30.

Glass/Window Tinting

Non-reflective window tinting is allowed on the front side windows if the light transmission is at least 35%, with a tolerance of 7%.

Rear side windows can have non-reflective tinting, so long as the vehicle has outside mirrors on each side that are so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet. Vehicles manufactured before 1993 that have tinting prior to 1993 are not subject to this prohibition.

The windshield may have a transparent material applied, so long as the bottom edge of the material is not less than 29 inches above the top of the driver’s seat when the seat is in its rearmost and lowermost position with the vehicle on a level surface, and the material may not be red or amber.

Video Screens

No person shall drive any motor vehicle equipped with television-type receiving equipment so located that the screen is visible from the Driver’s seat.

Television-type receiving equipment may be visible to the driver if used exclusively for traffic safety, law enforcement, or navigation of the motor vehicle.

Radar Detectors

Radar detectors are permitted for passenger vehicles but prohibited for use by commercial vehicles.

Windshield Stickers

A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any sign, poster, or other non-transparent material upon the windows of such vehicle, if those objects obstruct the Driver’s clear view of the highway or any intersecting highway.

Stickers required to be displayed by the state are allowed to be displayed in the 6-inch square portion of the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver.

Other Equipment Rules


Motorcycle Equipment

A motorcycle shall not be driven while carrying more than 1 person unless such motorcycle is designed to carry more than 1 person.

Passengers shall ride behind the driver and astride the regular seat that was designed for 2 persons, astride another seat firmly attached to the rear of the driver, or in an attached sidecar. Passengers must have footrests.

A rider shall be able to reach the ground with both feet simultaneously when sitting astride the seat in a stopped or upright position.

Handlebars may not extend more than 6 inches above the uppermost portion of the driver’s shoulders when the driver sits on the seat.

The driver of a motorcycle or moped shall drive with at least 1 hand on a handlebar at all times.

Whenever operating a motorcycle, the driver and passenger shall wear a securely fastened helmet and protective glasses, goggles, or face shields.

If a motorcycle is equipped with a transparent windscreen, the driver need not wear glasses, goggles, or face shields.

Every motorcycle must be equipped with:

  • At least 1 and not more than 2 headlamps.
  • Fenders on both wheels.
  • At least 1 rear tail lamp that emits a red light visible from 500 feet to the rear and is wired to be lighted whenever the headlamp is lighted.
  • Electric turn signal lamps on both the front and rear of the motorcycle.
  • At least 1 rear reflector, visible from all distances within 300 feet when directly in front of lower headlamp beams.
  • Brakes.
  • Two mirrors, 1 on each handlebar, in positions enabling the driver to view clearly the highway for at least 200 feet to the rear.

Every motorcycle or moped operated upon a highway at any time from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise, and at any other time when persons and vehicles are not visible from 1,000 feet away, must display lighted lamps and illuminating devices.

Motorcycle Licenses

A person may not apply for a motorcycle license unless he or she is 16 years of age, has successfully completed any examinations issued by the DMV, least 50 hours of experience in driving a motorcycle with an instruction permit, and has completed a course of motorcycle safety. If a course is not offered within a 30-mile radius of a person’s residence, the person must do an additional 50 hours of motorcycle driving experience. A person age 15 ½ to 18 years old may not operate a motorcycle on a highway for one year.

A person age 18 years or older may not operate the motorcycle on a highway or carry any passengers during the intermediate license period.

The other requirements are the same as for a regular license.

Motorcycle Noise Limits

Motorcycles traveling 35 mph or less may not be operated at a noise level above 82 decibels, and motorcycles traveling over 35 mph may not be operated at a noise level above 86 decibels.

Mopeds & Other

Mopeds need not be equipped with turn signals.

Drivers of mopeds need not wear helmets.

Effective January 1, 2017, owners of mopeds must apply for a one-time registration.  Such registrations issued are non-transferable. Mopeds will be issued unique license plates.

Trailer Dimensions

Total length: 70 feet; trailer and motor home length: not specified; width: 8 feet 6 inches (for trailers excluding lights or devices up to 6 inches, door handles, hinges, cable cinchers and chain bundlers up to 3 inches; for motor homes, excluding mirrors, safety equipment, and lights and awnings or hardware up the width of rear view mirrors); height: 14 feet.

Trailer Brakes

Every trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer at least 1,500 lbs. and manufactured after July 1, 1975 must be equipped with service brakes on all wheels.

Trailers, semitrailers, house trailers, or pole trailers, manufactured before July 1, 1975 and weighing less than 3,000 lbs. need not have brakes on all wheels.

Every trailer, semitrailer, house trailer, and pole trailer equipped with air or vacuum-actuated brakes and every trailer, semitrailer, house trailer, and pole trailer exceeding 3,000 lbs. and manufactured after July 1, 1969 must be equipped with brakes acting on all wheels, and of such character as to be applied automatically and remain applied for 15 minutes in the event of a breakaway from the towing vehicle.

All trailers weighing more than 3,000 lbs. must be equipped with parking brakes adequate to hold the trailer on any grade on which it is operated, and in all conditions.

Every towing vehicle, when used to tow another vehicle equipped with air-controlled brakes, shall be equipped with 2 means for emergency application of the trailer brakes. One of these means shall apply the brakes automatically in the event of a reduction of the towing vehicle air supply. The other means shall be a manually controlled device for applying and releasing the brakes, readily operable by a person seated in the driver seat.

Every towing vehicle used to tow other vehicles equipped with vacuum brakes shall have a second control device that can be used to operate the brakes on towed vehicles in emergencies. The second control shall be independent of brake air, hydraulic and other pressure, and independent of other controls, unless the braking system is so arranged that failure of the pressure upon which the second control depends will cause the brakes to be applied automatically.

Trailer Hitch/Signals

Safety chains are required.

Trailer Lighting

Pole trailers need only have reflectors, stop lamps, turn signal lamps, and tail-lamps on the rearmost portion of the load.

On every trailer or semitrailer at least 80 inches wide, there shall be 2 front clearance lamps, 1 on either side; 2 rear clearance lamps and 3 identification lamps; and on each side, 2 side marker lamps and 2 reflectors, with 1 at the front and 1 at the rear.

In addition, on every trailer 30 feet or longer, there shall be on each side, 1 amber side marker lamp and 1 amber reflector, centrally located.

On every pole trailer there shall be on each side, 1 amber side marker lamp and 1 amber reflector at or near the front of the load.

Identification lamps shall be grouped in a horizontal row, with lamp centers spaced between 6 and 12 inches apart, and mounted as close as practicable to the vertical center line.

On trailers designed to carry boats, front and rear clearance lamps may be located on each side of the trailer at or near the midpoint of the trailer between the front and rear of the trailer to indicate the extreme width of the trailer.

Every reflector required above must be readily visible at nighttime at all distances between 100-600 feet. Every front and rear clearance lamp and every side marker lamp shall be capable of being seen and distinguished at all distances between 50-500 feet.

Whenever motor vehicles and other vehicles are operated in combination and lights are required, only the rear vehicle’s lamps need be illuminated.

Trailer Mirrors

Every truck having a body that obscures a view of the road to the rear shall be equipped with a mirror carried in such a position that the driver of the truck shall be able to see traffic approaching from the rear.

All motor vehicles shall have a mirror so located so as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

Trailer Speed Limits

As posted.

Trailer Towing


Trailer Other Provisions

Riding in towed trailers is not permitted.

Accident Reporting

Crashes are required to be immediately reported.

Liability Laws

State has mandatory public liability and property insurance law. Driving without liability insurance is punishable as a misdemeanor. Evidence of insurance must be carried in the motor vehicle.

Every owner of a motor vehicle registered in Nevada must have the following insurance coverage for as long as the vehicle is registered: $15,000 for bodily injury to or the death of 1 person in any 1 accident; $30,000 for bodily injury to or the death of 2 or more persons in any 1 accident; and $10,000 for injury to or destruction of property of others in any 1 accident.

State has future proof-type law applicable in event of an accident causing property damage in excess of $750, or personal injury or death.

State has non-resident service of process law.

Nevada has no grace period for liability coverage. A one day lapse in your insurance coverage will result in a possible suspension of your registration. The minimum penalty is a $250 reinstatement fee.