Title Application

An odometer reading and purchase price is required on a title application except for vehicles over 10 years old or for trucks with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) over 16,000 lbs.

All fees for a certificate of title shall be paid to the county treasurer where the applicant resides or has his or her principal place of business.

A certificate of title will not be granted until the applicant has shown proof that the sales tax on the motor vehicle has been paid.

Vehicles titled in another state must be inspected by a member of the Highway Patrol prior to receiving a Kansas title.

The application shall contain a statement of all liens or encumbrances on the vehicle, and any other information required by the DMV. For new vehicles, a dealer shall execute a manufacturer’s statement of origin stating the liens and encumbrances on the vehicle.

Title Transfer of Ownership

The transferor shall endorse an assignment of the title to the transferee with a warranty of title, and shall deliver the assigned title to the buyer within 60 days of delivery.

The transferee shall then present the assigned title to the DMV when applying for a new title and registration.

The sale of a vehicle without transfer of the certificate of title is considered fraudulent and void.

Titles for Mobile Homes

To transfer ownership, the title must be assigned to the new owner. The seller must complete all information on the assignment except for the buyer’s printed name and signature.

If the seller does not have a title for the manufactured or mobile home he or she will need to obtain the title before transferring ownership.

A mobile or manufactured home cannot be sold on a bill of sale.

New mobile homes and house trailers are required to pay sales tax based on 60% of the purchase price prior to any trade in allowance.

Manufactured and mobile homes are required to be titled.

Registration Application

A purchaser of a vehicle currently registered in the state may operate the vehicle with its existing license plates for up to 60 days before applying for a new registration for the vehicle.

An applicant for registration shall register by mail, in person, or online to the office of the county treasurer where the applicant resides or has a bona fide place of business.

The application shall contain a brief description of the vehicle and other such information required by the DMV. In addition, the applicant must submit a statement certifying that the applicant has a certificate of title for the vehicle, showing the date and identification number.

New owners have 60 days to register a vehicle in the state, but must immediately apply for a temporary registration from a dealer or from the county treasurer. 

When an owner of a registered vehicle buys a new vehicle, he can use his registration from the old vehicle for up to 60 days prior to applying for a new registration.

An application for registration will not be granted until the applicant has shown proof that the sales tax on the motor vehicle and all personal property taxes have been paid, and has proof of insurance.

Trailers with a gross weight of more than 12,000 lbs. may be issued a multi-year registration for a 5-year period upon payment of the appropriate registration fee, with the fee being 5 times the annual fee. If the weight of the trailer and load being carried does not exceed 2,000 lbs., no registration is required.

Every owner of a motor vehicle, motorized bicycle, trailer, or semitrailer shall apply for registration if the vehicle is based in the state.

Registration for Non-Residents

Kansas registration within 90 days of establishing residency in Kansas.

Military personnel on active duty in Kansas may maintain vehicle registration on a reciprocal basis with the home state. Kansas military personnel on duty out of state may apply for registration at any time without penalty fee.

Full-time college students (enrolled in at least 9 credit hours per semester) with a valid vehicle registration and a driver’s license from their home state are not required to obtain Kansas registration.

Registration Type

Vehicles used as implements of husbandry, all-terrain vehicles, non-highway use travel trailers, and privately owned fire trucks need not be registered.

Upon the filing of an application and payment of the required fees, the division of vehicles shall register the vehicle and issue to the owner a registration receipt which contains the registration number.

Passenger vehicles, pickup trucks with a GVWR less than 12,000 lbs., motorcycles, motorized bicycles, and recreational vehicles are registered for 12 consecutive months from the month of initial registration. The registration expires at midnight on the last day of the last month of the 12-month period of registration.

For all other vehicles, registration expires December 31 of each year.

In every year where a new license plate is not issued upon registration, the owner will receive a decal to be affixed to the rear license plate indicating the county of registration and the year of expiration.

Registration expires upon the transfer of ownership, and does not transfer to the new owner.

Emissions Inspection

No statewide emissions inspections required.

Safety Inspection

There is no periodic statewide safety inspection requirement. The Kansas Highway Patrol is authorized to conduct a spot inspection of the mechanical condition of any vehicle where signs are displayed requiring such stop, or at any time upon reasonable cause to believe that a vehicle is unsafe or not equipped as required by law.

Title and Registration Fees


Title Fee: $10.00

Registration Fee: $35.00 – $45.00


Title Fee: $10.00

Registration Fee: $25.00


Plate Fee: $3.00

Registration Fee: $1.00

Driver’s License Fee: $8.00

Title Fee: $10.00

Special Plates: $46.00

Plate Disbursement

The license plate shall display the registration number assigned to the vehicle, the name of the state, and the year or years for which it is issued.

In every calendar year ending in a “5” or “0,” the DMV shall furnish 1 license plate for each vehicle. In the intervening 4 years, the division shall furnish 1 decal for the license plate each year showing the expiration date.

Two personalized license plates may be issued to the owner of a passenger vehicle or truck up to 20,000 lbs. GVWR upon application for such a plate. Owners of motorcycles may receive 1 personalized plate.

License plates shall be attached to the rear of the vehicle. Owners of specialized plates shall place 1 in the front of the vehicle and 1 on the rear of the vehicle.

The color scheme for license plates shall be gold and blue on white.

Veterans with a 100% disability are eligible to receive free, distinctive license plates.

Holders of amateur radio licenses and owners of antique vehicles are eligible for a specialized license plate, upon payment of a fee.

Special license plates for handicapped individuals are available upon application, with medical certificate, to County Treasurer’s office.

The DMV shall furnish to the owner of every registered vehicle 1 reflectorized license plate.

Transfer of Plates

The transferor of a vehicle may pay a fee to transfer the plate to another vehicle registered to himself.

The owner of a registration plate has 60 days to transfer it from an old to a new vehicle.

Upon transfer of ownership of any vehicle, the right to use any license plate shall expire immediately and the plate shall be removed by the transferor.

Driver's License Examination

An examination is required when an applicant for a license does not have a valid driver’s license, or answers in the affirmative that he has had a prior revocation, suspension, or refusal of a license.

Eye test (20/40 vision acuity required) and written and driving tests are required for original license.

An applicant for an initial Driver’s license shall be examined by the DMV prior to the issuance of a license. The applicant must pass a vision test, a test of the applicant’s ability to read and understand highway signs and the applicant’s knowledge of the traffic laws of the state, and a road test.

Graduated Driver's Licensing

Kansas has a system of graduated licensing for novice drivers.

At age 14, and individual may apply for a learner’s permit.

  • Vision and written tests are required to obtain a learner’s permit.
  • Learner’s permit holders may drive at any time when accompanied by a licensed driver 21 years of age or older.

Drivers who have held a learner’s permit for at least 12 months are eligible to receive a restricted license. Applicants for a restricted license must be at least 15 years of age, but less than 16, and have completed driver’s education. Drivers must complete at least 50 (10 at night) hours of supervised driving to move to the next stage at age 16.

  • Restricted license holders under 16 may drive to and from school (not school activities); to, from or in connection with any employment religious service, or farm-related work, or at any time when accompanied by a licensed adult driver in the front seat.
  • Restricted license holders 16 and older have a night time limit of 9 p.m. to 5 a.m., except to or from employment, farm-related work, religious service, or school-related activities, or when accompanied by a licensed adult driver.
  • Restricted license holders under 16 may not have any non-sibling minor passengers. Restricted license holders 16 and older are not permitted to transport more than 1 non-immediate family member under 18.

At age 16 and 6 months, drivers are eligible for an unrestricted license.

Driver's License Issuance/Application

Every applicant shall indicate for which category of license he or she is applying.

Each applicant must provide the following: name, proof of age, sex, address, a brief physical description, whether the applicant has been licensed before, and whether the applicant has ever had a license suspended or revoked.

Commercial applicants must also provide a social security number, color photograph, and consent to release driving record information.  A waiver of the skills test for a commercial driver’s license will be allowed if the applicant can provide evidence of certain recent military commercial vehicle driving experience and meets additional qualifications.

Applicants for driver’s licenses to submit their social security or taxpayer identification number. If an applicant does not have either document, the person must submit a sworn statement stating they do not have either one.

Licensees shall submit to an examination for a license whenever the DMV has good cause to believe that such person is incompetent or otherwise not qualified to be licensed, or if the person has had a license suspended.

Upon payment of the required fee, the DMV shall issue to every qualified applicant a driver’s license that contains the class or classes of motor vehicles that the licensee is entitled to drive, a distinguishing number that may be a social security number, the name, date of birth, address, brief physical description, color photograph, and signature of the licensee.

Licenses of persons under age 18, between the ages of 18 through 21, and 21 and over shall be distinguishable from each other.

Licenses are to be carried and exhibited on demand.

Social security number on license is not allowed.

No person shall operate a vehicle without a valid Driver’s license.

Driver's License Renewal

Licenses issued to persons less than 21 years of age or more than 65 years of age shall expire on the 4th anniversary of the license that is nearest the date of application. Licenses that expire on the 21st birthday of the holder must be renewed within 45 days of the date of expiration.

Commercial driver’s licenses shall expire on the 4th anniversary of the date of birth of the licensee nearest the date of application.

Every license shall be renewable on or before its expiration upon application and payment of the required fee and successful completion of required examinations.

Prior to renewal, the applicant shall pass a vision test. In lieu of this provision, the applicant can submit a vision test from a licensed physician or optometrist taken within 3 months of the application, and can complete the examination furnished with the notice of expiration of license and submit it with the application.

For licenses that expire while the holder is outside the country, a renewal will be provided by mail.

For military personnel, the Kansas DMV will renew their driver’s licenses regardless of whether their license is currently expired (no time limitation). For military dependents, license is renewed only if it has been expired for less than 1 year. Licensure terms are the same for military persons as the general public. If they are stationed out of state and their license expires, they must contact the Kansas DMV, fax a copy of their driver’s license and military id, give their current mailing address, and the test and booklet will be mailed to them to complete and return. Dependents use the same process. Their previous photo will be used from the DMV’s files to produce the new license.

Licenses issued to persons between the ages of 21 and 65 expire on the 6th anniversary of the date of birth of the licensee that is nearest the date of application.

Types of Driver's Licenses

Commercial Licenses:

Class A: Motor vehicles including any combination of vehicles with a GVWR over 26,000 lbs., provided the GVWR of the vehicle or vehicles being towed exceeds 10,000 lbs.

Class B: Motor vehicles including any single vehicle with a GVWR over 26,000 lbs., or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 lbs. GVWR.

Class C: Motor vehicles including any single vehicle 26,000 lbs. GVWR or less, any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 lbs. GVWR, or any vehicle designed to transport 16 or more passengers or any vehicle used in the transportation of hazardous materials that cause the vehicle to be placarded, if the combined weight of the vehicles is 26,000 lbs. GVWR or less.

Non-Commercial Licenses:

Class A: Motor vehicles including any combination of vehicles with a GVWR over 26,000 lbs., provided the GVWR of the vehicle or vehicles being towed exceeds 10,000 lbs.

Class B: Motor vehicles including any single vehicle with a GVWR over 26,000 lbs., or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 lbs. GVWR. Class B vehicles do not include vehicles registered as farm trucks in excess of 26,000 lbs. GVWR.

Class C: Motor vehicles including any single vehicle 26,000 lbs. GVWR or less, any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 lbs. GVWR, or any vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or less towing a vehicle in excess of 10,000 lbs. GVWR, or any single vehicle registered as a farm truck with a GVWR exceeding 26,000 lbs.

Class M: Includes motorcycles.

In each classification, holders of Class A licenses may drive Class B and C vehicles, and holders of Class B licenses may operate Class C vehicles.

Any person between the ages of 14 and 16 and who resides upon or works upon a farm may apply for a farm permit. The farm permit allows the licensee to operate a motor vehicle while going to or from any job, to and from school, at any time when a licensed adult is in the vehicle, or if a motorcycle license, when a licensed adult is in the general proximity of the licensee.

Distracted Driving

Texting while driving is prohibited. Instruction permit and restricted Class C and M Driver’s license holders are prohibited from using wireless communications devices while driving. Handheld cell phone use is prohibited in some cities, including Manhattan and Junction City.


No prohibition on wearing of headsets while driving.

Impaired Driving

Forty-nine states and the District of Columbia prohibit the operation of a motor vehicle while under the influence of intoxicating beverages, with the illegal per se limit set at 0.08 percent blood alcohol content (.08 BAC). Utah’s per se limit is 0.05 BAC. All 50 states and the District of Columbia set the legal drinking age at 21.

Every state’s chemical test law has ‘‘an implied consent’’ provision providing that any person operating a motor vehicle on a public highway, who is suspected of driving while intoxicated, consents to a chemical test to determine if he or she is inebriated. Failure to submit or pass such a test may cause the driver’s license to be suspended or revoked regardless of any court action finding the person innocent of the charge.

The most comprehensive resource on U.S. impaired driving laws is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Digest of Impaired Driving and Selected Beverage Control Laws.  NHTSA’s Digest is updated annually.

Kansas requires the use of ignition interlocks for all impaired driving offenders.

Move Over Law

State law requires drivers approaching a stationary emergency vehicle displaying flashing lights, including towing and recovery vehicles, traveling in the same direction, to vacate the lane closest if safe and possible to do so, or slow to a speed safe for road, weather, and traffic conditions. The law also applies to waste collection vehicles.

Seat Belts

Seat belts are required for the driver and passengers age 14 and older.

Violation of the seat belt law in the backseat is a secondary offense. Other violations of the seat belt law are standard offenses.

Riding in the cargo area of a pickup truck is not permitted for persons under age 18; some other exceptions apply.

Child Passenger Safety

Children ages 8 until 18, over 80 lbs., or over 4 feet 9 inches must properly wear a seat belt.

Children under age 4 until 8 who weigh less than 80 lbs. or are less than 4 feet 9 inches are required to be properly restrained in a child passenger safety restraint system or booster seat.

Children under age 4 are required to be in a child restraint system.

Violation of the child restraints laws are standard offenses.

Railroad Crossing

All drivers must stop between 15 and 50 feet of a railroad crossing in any of the following circumstances: a clearly visible electric or mechanical signal gives warning; a crossing gate is lowered or a human flagman gives warning; a train approaching within 1,500 feet gives an audible signal; or an approaching train is plainly visible and in hazardous proximity to the railroad crossing.

Buses, motor vehicles carrying hazardous materials, and trucks carrying hazardous materials must stop at all railroad crossings.

School Buses

Vehicles on the far side of a divided highway need not stop.

It is unlawful to pass from either direction a school bus that is stopped with its lights flashing.

Bumper Height

Modification of original vehicle bumper height is permitted.

Headlight Use

Headlights are required to be on from sunset to sunrise, due to insufficient light or unfavorable atmospheric conditions, including smoke or fog, if visibility is less than 1000 feet, or when windshield wipers are in continuous use as a result of rain, sleet, or snow.

Hazard Light Use

Hazard light use is not permitted while driving.

Tire Chains

Tire chain usage is permitted for hazardous weather or other related incidents only, but may not damage the highway surface.

Studded Tires

Studded tires are permitted November 1 to April 15.

Glass/Window Tinting

The windshield may have tinting installed above the AS1 line along the top of the windshield.

All windows must have a total light transmission of at least 35%. Reflective tinting is prohibited on all windows.

Video Screens

No statewide restriction.

Radar Detectors

Radar detectors are permitted for passenger vehicles but prohibited for use by commercial vehicles.

Windshield Stickers

Signs, posters, or other non-transparent materials may not be placed on any window that substantially obstructs, obscures, or impairs the Driver’s clear view of the roadway.

Other Equipment Rules


Motorcycle Equipment

All persons operating or riding on a motorcycle or motorized bicycle under the age of 18 shall wear a helmet.

No person shall operate a motorcycle unless that person is either wearing protective glasses, goggles, or transparent windshields, or whose motorcycle is equipped with a windscreen with a 10-inch minimum height. Passengers under age 18 must wear an eye-protective device which shall consist of protective glasses, goggles or transparent face shields that are shatter proof and impact resistant.

Motorcycles, motor-driven cycles, and motorized bicycles manufactured after January 1, 1978, shall display lighted head- and taillights at all times that such vehicles are operated on roadways.

All motorcycles and motor-driven cycles shall be equipped with at least 1 headlamp, 1 tail lamp, and 1 white light capable of illuminating the rear license plate from at least 50 feet.

All motorcycles and motor-driven cycles shall be equipped with at least 1 red rear reflector and 1 rear stop lamp.

All motorcycles shall be equipped with multiple-beam headlights that can reveal persons and vehicles at least 300 feet ahead of the upper beam and 150 feet ahead of the lower beam.

All motorcycles and motor-driven cycles shall be equipped with a braking system that will stop the cycle within 40 feet from an initial speed of 20 mph.

A person operating a motorcycle shall ride only upon the permanent and regular seat, and shall not carry another person unless the motorcycle has either a permanent and regular seat designed for 2 persons or has a second seat and footrests firmly attached to the rear or side of the front driver’s seat.

The driver of a motorcycle or a person riding a bicycle facing any steady red signal, which fails to change to a green light within a reasonable period of time because of a signal malfunction or because the signal has failed to detect the arrival of the motorcycle or bicycle because of its size or weight, shall have the right to proceed after stopping, yielding the right-of-way to any vehicle in, near, or approaching the intersection; to pedestrians lawfully crossing the intersection within an adjacent crosswalk; and to any other traffic lawfully using the intersection.

Motorcycle Licenses

Operators of motorcycles must obtain a Class M license.

Applicants for a motorcycle license must fulfill the same requirements as applicants for motor vehicles, except that applicants for class M licenses who have completed prior approved motorcycle safety training are not required to complete further written and driving testing. Vision tests are not required for online renewal.

Motorcycle Noise Limits

No statewide noise limit.

Mopeds & Other

Every person operating a moped on a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic shall remain on the far right side of the roadway, unless overtaking and passing another vehicle, preparing for a left turn, or it is reasonably necessary to avoid hazardous conditions.

Regular driver’s license or motorized bicycle license required; minimum age is 15.

No person shall operate any motor-driven cycle at a speed greater than 35 mph, unless the motor-driven cycle is equipped with a headlamp or lamps adequate to reveal a person or vehicle at a distance of 300 feet.

Trailer Dimensions

Total length: 65 feet; trailer length: not specified; motor home length: 45 feet; width: 8 feet 6 inches (excludes mirrors, equipment up to 3 inches, turn signals, handholds, splash and spray suppressant devices, load-induced tire bulge, and appurtenances up to the width of rear view mirrors); height: 14 feet.

Trailer Brakes

Every combination of vehicles shall have a service braking system, which will stop such combination within 40 feet from an initial speed of 20 mph on a level, dry, smooth, hard surface, and shall have a parking brake system adequate to hold such combination on any grade on which it is operated under all conditions of loading.

Trailer Hitch/Signals

Hitch must be capable of towing the trailer safely, with adequate safety chain. If second towed vehicle is attached, first towed vehicle must have an anti-sway mechanism.

Trailer Lighting

There shall be a white lamp that renders the registration plate visible from a distance of 50 feet to the rear.

Every trailer shall have at least 2 rear red reflectors, 2 stop lamps, and 2 electric turn signal lamps.

Trailers over 80 inches in width, except for boat and house trailers needing special permits, must have the following:

  • On the front, 2 clearance lamps, 1 at each side; on the rear, 2 clearance lamps, 1 at each side, and on vehicles manufactured after July 1, 1959, 3 identification lamps in a horizontal row between 6 to 12 inches from each other; or
  • On each side, 2 side marker lamps, 1 at or near the front and 1 at or near the rear.

All trailers shall be equipped with at least 2 tail lamps mounted on the rear that emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of at least 1,000 feet.

Trailer Mirrors

Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a mirror on the left side and an additional mirror mounted either inside the vehicle in the center or outside the vehicle on the right side.

Trailer Speed Limits

No person shall operate a vehicle towing a house trailer at a speed greater than 55 mph.

Trailer Towing


Trailer Other Provisions

No persons shall occupy a house trailer or mobile home while it is being moved on a public roadway.

Accident Reporting

Crashes are required to be immediately reported in cases of death, injury, or when property damage exceeds $1,500.00.

Liability Laws

Kansas has a non-resident service of process law.

Kansas has a no-fault insurance law.

The minimum insurance coverage required is $25,000 for injury to any 1 person, $50,000 for injury to more than 1 person, and $25,000 for personal property damage.