Title Application

Application is made to the Office of Motor Vehicles for all motor vehicles and shall include a description of the vehicle, a vehicle identification number, and a list of all liens or encumbrances on the vehicle. For new vehicles, an applicant must provide a certificate of origin, and if purchased from a dealer, the application should also include a statement by the dealer or a bill of sale showing any lien retained by the dealer.

Vehicle titles are permanent. There is no need to renew a title.

Title Transfer of Ownership

The owner shall endorse an assignment and warranty of title upon the certificate of title for the vehicle and shall deliver the certificate of title to the purchaser or transferee at the time of delivery of the vehicle.

The transferee of any new or used vehicle required to be registered shall do so within 30 days.

The transferee shall at the time of application present the assigned certificate of title prior to obtaining the new title.

An odometer reading is required.

Titles for Mobile Homes

An owner of a mobile home may license the home with the Office of Motor Vehicles.

Registration Application

Application is made to the Office of Motor Vehicles and shall include the owner’s name, bona fide residence, and mailing address, as well as a description of the vehicle.

Registration cards must be carried in the vehicle at all times and shall be displayed upon demand to a police officer or any officer or employee of the Office of Motor Vehicles; a photocopy of the license is deemed in compliance.

Within 30 days of becoming a resident, an owner shall obtain a motor vehicle registration; nonresidents physically present in Arkansas for 6 months shall also obtain motor vehicle registration.

An owner of a personal use vehicle may request registration for a period of 1 year or a multi-year registration of 2 or 3 years.

Applications for vehicles less than 10 years old must include odometer mileage disclosure statement.

Applicants may register in person or by mail in the county of residency.

Vehicle owners are required to show a certificate of origin on the vehicle.

Proof of insurance is required for new and renewing applications.

Registration for Non-Residents

Persons are considered residents of Arkansas if they reside in the state for any period exceeding 6 months in a calendar year, or if domiciled in Arkansas for any period of time. Non-residents with temporary worker’s or visitor’s permit must register vehicle within 10 days of entering state. Permit is valid for 90 days.

Registration Type

Staggered. Registration renewal may be for two or three years.

Emissions Inspection

No statewide emissions inspections required.

Safety Inspection

No periodic statewide safety inspection requirement.  An officer can stop a vehicle for a safety inspection if he believes that the vehicle is unsafe to operate. The officer can issue a safety citation, and the vehicle must be repaired.

Title and Registration Fees


Title Fee: $10.00

Registration Fee: By weight.*


Title Fee: $10.00

Registration Fee: $3.00 for 0-250cc; $7.00 for 251cc+


Plate Fee: $4.00

Registration Fee: $1.00

Driver’s License Fee: $10.00

Title Fee: $10.00

Special Plates: $5.00-$25.00

* $17.00 for cars under 3,000 lbs.; $25.00 for cars between 3,001 and 4,500 lbs.; $30.00 for cars greater than 4,500 lbs.

Plate Disbursement

From January 1, 1998, no plate shall be issued or renewed without satisfactory proof of insurance.

Upon registration, the owner of every vehicle shall receive a permanent license.

Every plate shall be reflectorized and shall have imprinted a multicolor reflectorized graphic design or logo.

The color scheme for license plates is red and blue on white.

No identical plates shall be issued for more than 1 vehicle.

Special personalized plates are available for an additional $25.00 fee.

Special license plates are available for disabled drivers, but must have doctor’s certification of disability.

Owners of permanent license plates may renew their registrations in person or by mail at a county revenue office, or by fax within 45 days of the date of expiration.

Plates must have sticker bearing expiration date.

An applicant may renew license plates in the county where he resides in person or by mail to the revenue collector.

Transfer of Plates

An owner may transfer plates from 1 vehicle to another for a fee of $10.

Driver's License Examination

Original license requires a written or oral examination, driving test, and vision test.

Renewal applications and applications by licensed new residents require only a vision test.

The minimum visual acuity for an unrestricted license is 20/40.

Graduated Driver's Licensing

Arkansas has a system of graduated licensing for novice drivers.

At age 14, individuals who have passed the knowledge and vision tests are eligible for an instruction/learner’s permit.

  • Permit holders may only drive when accompanied by a licensed driver, 18 years of age or older, who has at least 1 year of driving experience and is occupying a seat beside the driver, except in the event the permittee is operating a motorcycle.
  • Arkansas does not have required number of supervised driving hours.

At age 16, individuals are eligible for an intermediate license if they have been crash- and conviction-free for at least 6 months.

  • The intermediate license will automatically expire when the driver reaches age 18, provided that the driver has been free of a serious collision and conviction of a serious traffic violation for at least 1 year prior to his or her 18th birthday.
  • Drivers with an intermediate license may operate a vehicle only when all vehicle occupants are wearing passenger restraints.
  • Drivers with an intermediate license may not operate a vehicle between 11 p.m. and 4 a.m. unless accompanied by a licensed driver 21 or older.
  • Drivers with an intermediate license may not operate a vehicle with more than 1 unrelated passenger under 21 unless accompanied by a licensed driver 21 or older.

At age 18, drivers are eligible for an unrestricted license.

Driver's License Issuance/Application

A learner’s permit is required for 30 days prior to a first license application, unless under age 18. For drivers under 18, the learner’s permit is required for 6 months.

  • Drivers under age 18 are also required to show receipt of a high school diploma, or, if the driver is still a student, he must have at least a “C” average and regular attendance.
  • New drivers can have eligibility postponed due to alcohol/drug offenses.

New residents must obtain license within 30 days of becoming a resident.

License issued with an assigned 9-digit number. Social security number does not appear on the license.

Requires proof of citizenship, social security account number or verification of a person’s legal status to receive a driver’s license.

The license must be carried whenever operating a vehicle.

License includes color photograph.

Driver’s License Renewal

Licenses are valid for 8 years, expire on the licensee’s date of birth, and are obtainable only at County Revenue Offices.

Applicants ages 70 years or older may elect to obtain a Class D license or a Class M license for a period of either 4 years or 8 years if he/she has an expired Class D license or Class M license.

Military personnel on active duty out of the state and their dependents may renew their driver’s licenses by mail.

Military personnel on active duty may be granted an extension of expiration for a driver’s license not to exceed 30 days after the applicant’s first tour of duty, or release from active duty, whichever occurs first.

Types of Driver's Licenses


  • Class A: Combination vehicles, Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) over 26,000 lbs., towing trailer over 10,000 lbs.
  • Class B: Single or Combination vehicles, GVWR over 26,000 lbs., towing trailer under 10,000 lbs.
  • Class C: Vehicle under 26,000 lbs., transporting hazardous materials or carrying 16+ passengers.


  • Class D for Automobiles; Class M for Motorcycle; Class MD for Motor-driven cycle.

Distracted Driving

Drivers age 18-20 are prohibited from using a hand-held cell phone while driving. Learner’s and intermediate license holders may not use interactive communication devices while driving. Text messaging is prohibited for drivers of all ages. No driver may use a handheld wireless telephone when passing a school building or school zone during school hours when children are present and outside the building; or in a highway work zone when a highway worker is present. School bus drivers are prohibited from using cell phones while driving, except in emergencies and while parked.


No prohibition on wearing of headsets while driving.

Impaired Driving

Forty-nine states and the District of Columbia prohibit the operation of a motor vehicle while under the influence of intoxicating beverages, with the illegal per se limit set at 0.08 percent blood alcohol content (.08 BAC). Utah’s per se limit is 0.05 BAC. All 50 states and the District of Columbia set the legal drinking age at 21.

Every state’s chemical test law has ‘‘an implied consent’’ provision providing that any person operating a motor vehicle on a public highway, who is suspected of driving while intoxicated, consents to a chemical test to determine if he or she is inebriated. Failure to submit or pass such a test may cause the driver’s license to be suspended or revoked regardless of any court action finding the person innocent of the charge.

The most comprehensive resource on U.S. impaired driving laws is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Digest of Impaired Driving and Selected Beverage Control Laws.  NHTSA’s Digest is updated annually.

Arkansas requires the use of ignition interlocks for all impaired driving offenders.

Move Over Law

State law requires drivers approaching stationary emergency response vehicles that are displaying flashing lights, including wreckers or tow vehicles, traveling in the same direction, to move to the farthest lane from the vehicle if safe and possible to do so, or to slow to a speed appropriate for road and weather conditions. Also included in the law are utility vehicles.

Seat Belts

Seat belts are required for the driver and front seat passengers age 15 and older.

Violation of the seat belt law is a standard offense.

Riding in back of an unenclosed pickup truck is not permitted, except for employees on duty; some other exceptions apply.

Child Passenger Safety

Children ages 6 until 15 or at least 60 lbs. are required to be restrained in a seat belt.

Child restraints are required for children under age 6 and under 60 lbs.

All occupants must wear a seat belt when the vehicle is being operated by a driver with an intermediate license.

Violation of the child restraint law is a standard offense.

Railroad Crossing

Vehicles are not required to stop unless directed by warning signals or when train is approaching.

Buses transporting passengers and vehicles transporting hazardous waste must stop.

School Buses

Vehicles must stop for school bus loading or unloading, unless on a separate roadway of a highway divided by 20-foot strip.

School buses must be painted “national school bus yellow.”

Bumper Height

Modification of original vehicle bumper height is permitted.

Headlight Use

Headlights are required 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise, when wipers are in use, or when visibility is less than 500 feet.

Hazard Light Use

Hazard light usage is not permitted while driving except to indicate a traffic hazard.

Tire Chains

Tire chain usage is permitted for hazardous weather or other related incidents only, but may not damage the highway surface.

Studded Tires

Studded tires are permitted November 15 to April 15.

Glass/Window Tinting

Tinting may not extend more than 5 inches from the top of the windshield.

On all model 1994 and later vehicles, side may use a tint that allows at least 25% net light transmission.

On all model 1994 and later vehicles, the rearmost window may be covered with after-market tint that allows at least 10% net light transmission.

All vehicles with after-market tints must have a label with the name and phone number of the company and a declaration that the vehicle conforms to the vehicle tinting law that installed the tint on the front glass immediately to the driver’s left. A motorist with a medical waiver exemption for window tinting must carry a physician’s certification in the motor vehicle.

Video Screens

No statewide restriction.

Radar Detectors

Radar detectors are permitted for passenger vehicles but prohibited for use by commercial vehicles.

Windshield Stickers

It is unlawful to have any substance other than a rear-view mirror or required decals attached to the windshield at any point more than 4 1/2 inches above the bottom of the windshield, if it obstructs the operator’s view.

Other Equipment Rules


Motorcycle Equipment

Driver is required to display lighted lamps at all times though, between sunrise and sunset, may operate either a continuous or pulsating beam.

Every motorcycle shall have either 1 or 2 headlights; a red rear light; electrical turn signals; and at least 1 reflector.

Goggles or face shield is required.

Safety helmet is required for riders under 21.

1 rearview mirror is required.

Passenger seat and footrests are required if carrying a passenger.

Motorcycle Licenses

Licenses are required for motorcycles:

  • Minimum age is 16.
  • Certificate is issued by state police.
  • Title and registration are required.
  • Written and road tests are required.

Ages 14 and older may use motor-driven cycle (engine between 50 cc and 250 cc) or motor-driven bicycle (engine up to 50 cc).

Ages 10 and older may use a motorized bicycle but only on private property and within a municipality with a population of ten thousand (10,000) or more.

Motorcycle Noise Limits

No statewide motorcycle noise limit laws.

Mopeds & Other

The following equipment is required: 1-2 headlights; red rear reflector; and red rear light.

Trailer Dimensions

Total length: 53 feet 6 inches; trailer length: 28 feet; motor home length: 40 feet; width: 8 feet 6 inches (excluding safety equipment); height: 13 feet 6 inches.

Trailer Brakes

Every trailer or semitrailer with a gross weight of 3,000 lbs. or more shall be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of and to stop and to hold such vehicle; and the brakes should automatically apply in the event of an accidental break-away.

Every new trailer or semitrailer weighing at least 1,500 lbs. shall come equipped with brakes on all wheels.

Trailer Hitch/Signals

Connection must be sufficiently strong to pull all weight towed.

Safety chain is required.

12-inch flag or cloth required on connections consisting only of chains, ropes, or cables.

Trailer Lighting

Taillights are required; brake lights are required if towing vehicle’s brake light is obscured; license plate lights are required.

Turn signals are not required unless width is greater than 80 inches.

Reflectors on each side of vehicle are required.

Trailer Mirrors

Every motor vehicle which is so constructed or loaded as to obstruct the Driver’s view to the rear thereof from the Driver’s position shall be equipped with a mirror located so as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

Trailer Speed Limits

Speed limits are 70 mph on rural interstates; 55 mph on urban freeways; or as posted.

45 mph is maximum when towing house trailer.

Trailer Towing

Special permit is required if towed vehicle is not registered. Proof of ownership is required. Drawbar is required (maximum length 15 feet). Reciprocity is granted.

Trailer Other Provisions

Riding in towed trailer is permitted.

May tow more than 1 boat or general utility trailer.

Accident Reporting

Crashes involving death or injury are required to be reported immediately.  Crashes involving property damage exceeding $1000.00 are required to be reported within 30 days.

Liability Laws

Security-type law is applicable in event of accident causing property damage in excess of $1,000 or personal injury or death. Minimum financial responsibility limits are the following: $25,000 for bodily injury or death of 1 person in 1 accident; $50,000 for bodily injury or death of 2 or more persons in 1 accident; and $25,000 for injury to or destruction of property of others in 1 accident.

State has “add-on” no-fault insurance law.

Sale is mandatory, but purchase is optional.

Benefits, medical, and hospital, $5,000.

Wage loss, 70%; up to $140/week (8-day waiting period, maximum 52 weeks).

Essential services up to $70/week (8-day waiting period, maximum 52 weeks).

Accidental death, $5,000.