Title Application

Application is made to the DMV, and must contain the signature of the vehicle owner and previous owner

Title Transfer of Ownership

For any vehicle less than 10 years old, the transferor must include an odometer statement.

Titles for Mobile Homes

No special requirements.

Registration Application

A registration application can be made at any local office of the DMV, and an applicant must show proof of insurance and a vehicle title.

There is no period of grace for late registration.

Registration for Non-Residents

Non-residents accepting employment in the state must register their vehicles within 10 days of commencing work.

Registration Type

Registration is biennial, except certain unorganized municipalities where drivers have the option of permanent registration.

Emissions Inspection

Emissions inspections are done every 2 years, but only in designated areas of the state. Currently, only Fairbanks and Anchorage require the inspections.

Safety Inspection

No periodic statewide safety inspection requirement.  State troopers may inspect vehicles at roadside when there is reasonable cause to believe vehicle is unsafe.

Title and Registration Fees


Title Fee: $18.00

Registration Fee: $100.00 – once every 2 years


Title Fee: n/a

Registration Fee: $60.00 – once every 2 years


Plate Fee: $5.00

Registration Fee: $2.00

Driver’s License Fee: $15.00

Title Fee: $15.00

Special Plates: $30.00

Plate Disbursement

Two plates are required on vehicles. Plates will feature either blue lettering on a yellow field or the “Gold Rush Centennial” design, which is black lettering on a blue sky with white mountains and trail climbers.

License plates are reflectorized.

Plates are validated biennially with a sticker that is placed on the rear license plate.

Disability plates are available upon application and a medical certificate.

Transfer of Plates

License plates remain with the car upon transfer, unless they are specialty plates.

Driver’s License Examination

For an original license, applicants must pass a written exam, vision test (20/40 vision acuity required), and driving test.

Graduated Driver's Licensing

Alaska has a system of graduated licensing for novice drivers.

At 14, residents are eligible for a learner’s permit.

  • During this stage, drivers must be supervised by a parent or guardian at all times, and must accumulate 40 hours of supervised driving during the permit stage—including 10 hours in “progressively challenging circumstances” such as inclement weather and nighttime conditions.

At 16, drivers holding a learner’s permit for at least 6 months are eligible for a provisional license.

  • Provisional license holders are restricted from driving between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m. and transporting passengers under age 21, with the exception of family members.

At age 16 and 6 months, drivers are eligible for a full unrestricted license if they have not been convicted of a violation of a traffic law, or at age 18.

Driver's License Issuance/Application

Drug or alcohol motor vehicle offenses can cause postponement of new driver’s license eligibility.

License is valid for 5 years, and expires on the birthday of the licensee.

Non-residents have 90 days before they are required to apply for an Alaskan license.

A photo is required on driver’s licenses, except in special circumstances.

Individuals on active duty military orders stationed in Alaska that choose to remain a resident of another state are not required to obtain a license in Alaska. This applies only to active duty personnel and not to dependents. Military dependents are required to surrender their out-of-state license and obtain a license in Alaska.

Licenses do not normally include social security numbers.

Driver's License Renewal

Renewal by mail is not allowed for persons age 69 and older or for drivers whose previous renewal was by mail.

Non-commercial driver’s licenses for military personnel are valid for 90 days after discharge or return to the State of Alaska, whichever occurs first. License remains valid as long as resident remains on active duty.

Types of Driver's Licenses


Class A: combination of a motor vehicle and 1 or more other vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) greater than 26,000 lbs.; where GVWR of vehicle(s) being towed is less than 10,000 lbs.

Class B: a motor vehicle with a GVWR of greater than 26,000 lbs., or a motor vehicle greater than 26,000 lbs. that is towing a vehicle of less than 10,000 lbs.

Class C: a motor vehicle or a combination of a motor vehicle and 1 or more other vehicles with a GVWR of greater than 26,000 lbs. where the GVWR of the towing vehicle is less than 26,000 lbs.; or a vehicle not described in Class A or B and is either designed to transport more than 15 passengers or transports hazardous materials.


Class D: for automobiles other than commercial vehicles or motorcycles.

Class M1: for motorcycles.

Class M2: for motor-driven cycles and motorized bicycles.

Class IP: instruction permit for Class D.

Class IM: instruction permit for Class M1 or M2.

Distracted Driving

Text messaging while driving is prohibited. Municipalities may also adopt ordinances prohibiting the use of a cellular telephone by a person driving a motor vehicle while on school property or in an active school zone.


Wearing an audio headset or earplugs is not permitted while driving.

Exempts headsets when used and designed to improve a driver’s hearing ability or use navigational devices.

Impaired Driving

All 50 states and the District of Columbia have impaired driving laws that prohibit the operation of a motor vehicle while under the influence of intoxicating beverages, with the illegal per se limit set at 0.08 percent blood alcohol content (.08 BAC). All 50 states and the District of Columbia set the legal drinking age at 21.

Every state’s chemical test law has ‘‘an implied consent’’ provision providing that any person operating a motor vehicle on a public highway, who is suspected of impaired driving consents to a chemical test to determine if he or she is inebriated. Failure to submit or pass such a test may cause the driver’s license to be suspended or revoked regardless of any court action finding the person innocent of the charge.

The most comprehensive resource on U.S. impaired driving laws is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Digest of Impaired Driving and Selected Beverage Control Laws.  NHTSA’s Digest is updated annually.

Alaska requires the use of ignition interlocks for all impaired driving offenders.

Move Over Law

State law requires drivers approaching stationary emergency vehicles that are displaying flashing flights, including tow trucks, traveling in the same direction, to vacate the lane closest if safe and possible to do so, or to slow to a speed reasonable and prudent for traffic, road, and weather conditions. Also included in the law are road maintenance and animal control vehicles.

Seat Belts

Seat belts or child restraints are required for the driver and all passengers age 16 and older.

Violation of seat belt law is a standard offense.

Riding in the back of a pickup truck bed is permitted.

Child Passenger Safety

Children between age 8 and 16 who are less than 57 inches in height and under 65 lbs. shall be restrained in a child safety device or seat belt as determined by the driver.

Children over 4, taller than 57 inches, and weighing more than 65 lbs. shall be restrained in a seat belt.

Children between 4 and 8 years old, less than 57 inches in height, and weighing 20 to 65 lbs. must be secured in a booster seat or child safety seat.

Children between 1 and 5 years old and weighing 20 lbs. or more must be secured in a child restraint device.

Children less than one year of age or weighing less than 20 lbs. must be secured in a rear-facing child safety seat.

Violation of the child passenger safety law is a standard offense.

Railroad Crossing

All vehicles are required to stop when warning signs indicate to stop.

School buses and vehicles carrying fuel or hazardous material are required to stop at all railroad crossings.

School Buses

Vehicles must stop for buses when loading or unloading passengers. Vehicles are not required to stop if on the opposite side of a divided highway.

School buses are to be painted “national school bus yellow.”

Bumper Height

Modifications of original vehicle bumper height are permitted. Maximum frame height: 24 inches up to 4,500 lbs. GVWR; 26 inches for 4,501 to 7,500 lbs. GVWR; and 28 inches for 7,501 to 10,000 lbs. GVWR.

Headlight Use

Headlights are required to be on when speed exceeds 45 mph on designated highways or when visibility is less than 1000 feet.

Hazard Light Use

The use of hazard lights is not permitted while driving.

Tire Chains

Tire chain usage is permitted for hazardous weather or other related incidents only, but may not damage the highway surface.

Studded Tires

Studded tires are permitted, but with rubber studs and only in the following locations and times: September 16 to April 30 north of 60 degrees N; October 1 to April 14, south of 60 degrees N.

Glass/Window Tinting

The front windshield can have tinting applied, but only on the top 5 inches of the window.

Side windows must have 70% light transmittance.

Rear windows must have 40% light transmittance.

Mirrored tints are not allowed.

Video Screens

A television screen may not be installed where the viewer or screen is visible from the driver’s seat.

Television-type equipment is allowed for navigational devices such as GPS or Loran.

Radar Detectors

Radar detectors are permitted for passenger vehicles but prohibited for use by commercial vehicles.

Windshield Stickers

Stickers cannot obstruct the view of the driver.

Other Equipment Rules


Motorcycle Equipment

Glasses, goggles, or a windscreen is required.

Reflectorized helmets are required for operators age 17 and under, for passengers of all ages, and for operators with learner or instructional permits.

Left and right rearview mirrors are required.

Passenger seat and footrests are required if carrying passengers.

A license plate is required.

Daytime headlights must be on while the motorcycle is in operation.

Helmet speakers are prohibited.

Taillights are required.

Motorcycle Licenses

Licenses are required for operators at least 16 years old.

Learner’s permits are available for those age 14, but they must ride under the supervision of a licensed motorcycle operator at least 19 years old.

Operators under age 18 are required to have a 6-month instruction permit.

A license is required for mopeds. Driver’s must be 14 years old, and the bikes can have a maximum engine size of 50 cc.

Motorcycle Noise Limits

No statewide noise limit.

Mopeds & Other

Minimum age for driver’s license is 14. Helmets are required.

Trailer Dimensions

Total length: 75 feet; trailer length: 53 feet; motor home length: 45 feet; width: 8 feet 6 inches (excluding appurtenances, equipment up to 3 inches, turn signals, handholds, splash and spray suppressant devices, load-induced tire bulge, retracted RV awnings, AC power outlets and exhaust fans); height: 15 feet.

Trailer Brakes

An independent braking system is required when gross weight exceeds 5,000 lbs.

A breakaway system capable of applying all required brakes in the event of a separation from the towing vehicle is required.

Trailer Hitch/Signals

A vehicle towed upon a street or highway must be coupled to the towing vehicle by means of a safety chain, chains, cable, or other equivalent device, in addition to the regular hitch or coupling.

  • The additional connecting safety devices must be connected to both the towing and towed vehicles and to the drawbar or other rigid connecting device so as to prevent the device from dropping to the ground in the event of a failure.
  • The additional safety devices must be of sufficient strength to retain control of the towed vehicle in the event of failure.

Trailer Lighting

The following lights are required on trailers: taillights, brake lights, license plate lights, turn signals, 2 clearance lights, 2 side markers, and 2 reflectors.

Trailer Mirrors

Two mirrors are required on a towing vehicle: the left side mirror is required, and 1 mirror may be an interior mirror.

Trailer Speed Limits

The maximum speed while towing a mobile home is 45 mph.

Trailer Towing


Trailer Other Provisions

Riding in a house trailer while it is being towed is prohibited, unless specifically designed to carry a passenger when the vehicle in in motion.

Riding in the back of a pickup or camper is permitted.

Accident Reporting

Crashes must be reported in cases of death or injury or when property damage exceeds $2,000.00. The deadline to issue a report is 10 days.

Liability Laws

Mandatory insurance law applies to all accidents involving death, injury, or more than $500 damage to property of any 1 person. Minimum financial responsibility limits:

  • $50,000 due to bodily injury or death of 1 person in 1 accident.
  • $100,000 due to bodily injury or death of 2 or more persons in 1 accident.
  • $25,000 due to injury to or destruction of property of others in 1 accident.

Alaska has a non-resident service of process law.