Title Application

(see Vehicle Registration)

Title Transfer of Ownership

When the ownership of a registered vehicle passes from the registered owner to any other person, whether by an act of the owner or by operation of law, the registration of the vehicle expires at the time of transfer.

Titles for Mobile Homes

(see Vehicle Registration)

Registration Application

A certificate of registration or permit issued by the CTS is required to operate a motor vehicle or trailer on a highway unless otherwise exempted.

A motor vehicle or trailer must be registered in the Yukon within 7 days of being brought into the territory for the first time in the previous 12 months unless otherwise exempted.

The owner of a motor vehicle must provide proof of insurance and a bill of sale signed by the seller to register the motor vehicle. If the vehicle is new, the owner must also provide a New Vehicle Information Statement (NVIS) form or the original factory invoice if the NVIS is not available.

The vehicle must be registered for a period of between 3 months and 15 months unless the vehicle is a commercial vehicle that weighs 4,500 kg or more, in which case the vehicle must be registered for a period of between 6 and 18 months.

Registration for Non-Residents

Non-residents are not required to register their vehicles in the Yukon if: (1) the vehicle is registered in another jurisdiction; (2) the registration plates or other identification issued by the other jurisdiction is displayed on the vehicle; (3) the vehicle has not been in the Yukon for a continuous period of more than 60 days in the preceding 12 months; (4) the person in whose name the vehicle is registered is not a resident of the Yukon; (5) the vehicle is not rented; (6) and the vehicle is not leased for a period of more than 30 days to a person who is a resident of the Yukon.

A person is deemed to be a resident of the Yukon when: (1) he or she makes his or her home in the Yukon and is ordinarily present in the Yukon; (2) he or she earns income from employment in the Yukon; or (3) he or she carries on a business in the Yukon.

Registration Type

Vehicle registrations are issued on a staggered system.

A vehicle registered expires on the date specified when the vehicle is registered.


Emissions Inspection

No province-wide emissions inspection requirement.

Safety Inspection

An officer may require the owner or operator of a vehicle that is being operated on a highway to submit the vehicle to examination and tests to ensure that the motor vehicle can be operated in compliance with the law.

Title and Registration Fees


Title Fee: N/A

Registration Fee: $42.00 – $54.00


Title Fee: N/A

Registration Fee: $15.00


Plate Fee: $5.00

Registration Fee: $5.00

Driver’s License Fee: $3.00

Title Fee: N/A

Special Plates: $125.00


Plate Disbursement

License plates are issued by the CTS at the same time the certificate of registration is issued.

No person may attach to a motor vehicle or trailer or operate a motor vehicle or trailer to which is attached a license plate other than a license plate authorized for use on that motor vehicle or trailer.

No person may operate or park a motor vehicle or trailer unless each license plate required is attached to the vehicle in the proper location and manner.

The operator of a motor vehicle or trailer must at all times keep any license plate required to be attached to the vehicle secured in a manner and maintained in a condition so as to be clearly visible and readable and un-obscured.

Only 1 license plate is issued per vehicle, except that 2 personalized plates may be issued.

Except for truck tractors and dump trucks, the plate must be attached to the rear of the vehicle so that the bottom of the plate is at least as high off the ground as the rear axle. A second plate may be attached to the front of the vehicle so that the bottom of the plate is at least as high off the ground as the front axle.

Transfer of Plates

When the ownership of a registered vehicle passes from the registered owner to any other person, whether by an act of the owner or by operation of law, the registered owner of the vehicle must remove the license plates from the vehicle and retain them in his or her possession. If the registered owner fails to remove the license plates, the new owner must remove the plates and return them to the CTS. At any time during the registration year for which license plates are issued, the person to whom they are issued may apply to the CTS to use the plates on another vehicle registered in his or her name, and if the application is made within 14 days after acquiring ownership of the other vehicle, that person may display the plates on the newly acquired vehicle during that 14-day period.

The registered owner of a trailer may transfer a trailer license plate from 1 to another of his or her own trailers upon completion of the forms supplied by the CTS and payment of a transfer fee, but trailer license plates must not be transferred from 1 owner to another.

A trailer license plate or temporary operation permit must be placed at the rear of the trailer, in such a position that the lower edge of the plate or permit is not lower than the rear axle of the trailer.

Driver’s License Examination

Depending on the individual’s particular circumstances, an applicant for a Newfoundland and Labrador driver’s license may have to take a written test, a driving test, a vision screening examination, and a medical examination.

Graduated Drivers Licensing

The Yukon has a form of graduated licensing.

A learner’s licensee may operate a motor vehicle while accompanied by a person who holds a subsisting license for the operation of the vehicle being used, who has held such license for a period of at least 2 years, and who is seated immediately beside the licensee. In addition the person accompanying the learner licensee must not have any alcohol in his or her blood, and his or her ability to operate a motor vehicle must not be impaired by drugs or any other substance. Learner’s license holders must accumulate 50 hours of driving experience and may have no more than 1 non-family member passenger in order to apply for a novice license at age 16.

Except in the case of a learner’s license, a driver’s license is not issued to anyone under the age of 16 years.

A novice licensee may drive without a co-driver except between the hours of midnight and 5 a.m.  A novice driver may not transport more than one passenger under 13 or a combination of passengers including a passenger under 13 and a passenger under 20 unless accompanied by a passenger over 20.

The application of a person under 18 years of age must be signed by the person’s parent or legal guardian unless the applicant can prove that he or she is self-supporting and unable to obtain the consent of a parent or guardian, or that he or she is married. The minimum age for an unrestricted license is 17 years and 6 months.

Drivers License Issuance/Application

No person may operate a vehicle on a highway unless he is the holder of a driver’s license authorizing him or her to operate that class of vehicle.

An application for a driver’s license is made to the CTS.

A non-resident is not required to hold a driver’s license if he or she does not remain in the Yukon for more than 120 consecutive days in any year, and if he or she is authorized by the laws of his or her place of residence to operate a motor vehicle of the type or class being operated by him or her.

A non-resident student is not required to hold a driver’s license if he or she holds a valid license issued by his place of residence.

Every person who holds a license issued outside the Yukon authorizing him or her to operate a motor vehicle must surrender that license when issued a Yukon driver’s license unless the CTS waives the surrender on grounds that the person is not able to surrender the license.

No person may attempt to obtain a driver’s license during a period when his or her license is canceled or suspended in any province or in any state, territory, or the District of Columbia in the United States.

Learner’s and novice’s licenses are available from a Territorial Agent or Territorial Office.

A person may apply for a full privilege driver’s license at any motor vehicle office.

The CTS must suspend the license of a person under 18 years of age if a parent withdraws consent.

An applicant must provide his or her surname, given names, postal address, date of birth, height, weight, and sex.

An applicant must provide a primary and secondary form of identification when obtaining a Yukon driver’s license for the first time. Photocopies are not acceptable. Primary forms of identification include a birth certificate, proof of Canadian citizenship, a foreign passport, a driver’s license issued by another jurisdiction, and a Canadian Armed Forces ID or discharge papers. Secondary forms of identification include a baptismal certificate showing date of birth, social insurance card, health care card, certificate of Indian status, liquor ID, landed immigrant papers, and a Canadian or U.S. passport.

A licensee must sign the license in the space provided or the license is not valid.

A licensee must notify the CTS of every change of address or change of name.

An applicant must disclose to the CTS any disease or disability that may interfere with the safe operation of a motor vehicle.

A person holding a driver’s license from another jurisdiction has 120 days to obtain a Yukon driver’s license upon taking up residency or employment in the territory. However, if the person has an air-brake endorsement, the person must exchange their license within 30 days.

The holder of a driver’s license from another jurisdiction must provide a medical report if the person is applying for a Class 1, 2, 3, or 4 license.

A security keyword is required to obtain a duplicate license. If the previous license is found, it must be returned immediately to the CTS. It is an offense to hold more than 1 driver’s license at any 1 time.

Every driver of a motor vehicle must carry his or her driver’s license with him or her at all times while driving a motor vehicle and must produce it for inspection upon demand by any peace officer.

The CTS may issue a temporary license effective for 90 days.

Drivers License Renewal

A driver’s license is valid, unless otherwise suspended or revoked, for a period of 5 years.

Any license that is not renewed within 6 months from the expiration date will be considered a first application.

A driver’s license may be renewed by mail or in person.

If a person is 70 years of age or older, he or she must file a medical examination certificate signed by a licensed physician and submit to a vision examination.

Types of Drivers Licenses

Class 1, 2, 3, and 4 licenses are for the operation of large commercial vehicles. An applicant must be 18 years of age or older.

A Class 5 license permits the operation of a single motor vehicle up to 11,000 kg (24,000 lbs.) Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW), vehicle-trailer combinations up to 11,000 kg GVW where the trailer does not exceed 4,550 kg (10,000 lbs.) and learners being instructed on vehicles in Class 1, 2, 3, or 4.

Class 6 permits the operation of motorcycles and mopeds. An applicant must be 16 years of age or older.

Class 7 is a learner’s permit for the operation of all Class 5 and 6 vehicles.

A person who is 15 years of age or older may obtain a Class 7 learner’s license for the operation of passenger vehicles and motorcycles.

Distracted Driving

Drivers may not use a cell phone, text or send e-mails with any kind of hand-held electronic device.


No prohibition on wearing of headsets while driving.

Impaired Driving

Canadian federal law prohibits the operation of a motor vehicle while under the influence of intoxicating beverages, with the illegal per se limit set at 0.08 percent blood alcohol content (.08 BAC).

Yukon sets the legal drinking age at 19.

It is illegal to fail to submit to testing or an evaluation for impaired driving.

Ignition interlocks may be ordered for impaired driving offenders at judicial discretion but other offenders have the option of using them.

Move Over Law

Yukon has no Move Over law.

Seat Belts

Every person who drives on a highway a motor vehicle in which a seat belt is installed for the driver must be properly secured in a seat belt unless the person is doing work that requires him or her to get out of and re-enter the motor vehicle at frequent intervals and who, while doing that work, does not drive the motor vehicle faster than 30 km/h, does not drive through an intersection, and does not drive more than 250 meters without stopping.

Every person who is a passenger in a motor vehicle that is being operated on a highway must wear a seat belt if a seat belt is installed for the seat the passenger occupies, or if there is an unoccupied seat with a seat belt.

The following vehicles are exempted from the passenger restraint requirements: taxis, school buses, transit buses, motor coaches, emergency vehicles, rental vehicles, vehicles not licensed in the Yukon, and motor homes.

Riding in the bed of a truck is permitted.

Child Passenger Safety

Children under 6 years of age and under 22 kg must be secured in a child restraint system. A child weighing less than 9 kg must be secured in an infant restraint system. A child weighing 9 to 22 kg must be secured in a child restraint system. Children weighing over 18 kg may use a booster seat. Children weighing over 22 kg may use a standard seat belt.

Railroad Crossing

At a railway crossing at any time when (1) a clearly visible electrical or mechanical signal device gives warning of the approach of a railway train, (2) a crossing gate is lowered or a flagman is giving a signal, (3) a train within approximately 500 meters of the crossing is approaching the crossing and either sounds an audible signal or is visible, or (4) a train is visible and approaching the crossing and by reason of its speed or nearness is an immediate hazard, a driver approaching the crossing must not proceed until the train has passed or come to a stop and the driver can proceed safely.

Where a stop sign is erected at a railway crossing, a driver approaching the railway crossing must stop his or her vehicle no closer than 5 meters and no further than 15 meters from the nearest rail of the railway and must proceed until he can do so safely.

When a driver has stopped at a railway crossing, he or she must cross the railway tracks in a gear that he or she will not need to change while crossing the tracks and must not shift gears while crossing.

School Buses

When a school bus has stopped on a highway to receive or discharge passengers or while the vehicle is displaying alternately flashing red lights, a driver approaching the school bus from the rear, if the highway is physically divided by a median strip into 2 separate roadways, or from either direction, if the highway is not so divided, must stop before reaching the school bus. The person may not proceed to pass the school bus (1) until the school bus resumes motion, (2) until the driver of the school bus indicates by a signal that he may proceed, or (3) where the school bus is displaying alternately flashing red lights, until the lights stop flashing.

Bumper Height

Modification of original vehicle bumper height is permitted within regulated limits.

Headlight Use

Headlights are required to be used at all times.

Hazard Light Use

Hazard light use is permitted while driving to indicate a hazard.

Tire Chains

Tire chains are permitted.

Studded Tires

Studded tires are permitted.

Glass/Window Tinting

Application of after-market vehicle glass-darkening material is permitted on all windows except windshield. Tinting permitted on rear window cannot obstruct driver’s view.

Video Screens

No person may drive on a highway a vehicle that is equipped with a television set unless the television set is located and operated so that the driver cannot by any means see the screen of the television while the vehicle is in motion.

Radar Detectors

Radar detectors are not permitted.

Windshield Stickers

No person may drive a vehicle on a highway if the view through the windshield or windows is so obscured by mud, frost, steam, or any other thing as to make the driving of the vehicle hazardous or dangerous.

Other Equipment Rules


Motorcycle Equipment

Any person operating or riding as a passenger on a motorcycle, moped, or snowmobile is required to wear an approved helmet.

Every motorcycle, moped, and snowmobile must be equipped with at least 1 headlamp but not more than 2 headlamps, and at least 1 tail lamp mounted at the rear of the vehicle.

A person who is operating a motorcycle, moped, or snowmobile on a highway: (1) must keep both hands on the handlebars, except when making a signal; (2) must keep both feet on the pedals or footrests; (3) must not ride other than upon or astride the regular seat, and must not use the vehicle to carry more people at 1 time than the number for which it is designed or equipped.

No motorcycle may be in motion on a highway at any time unless the lamp or lamps with which it is equipped are alight.

A person who is riding as a passenger on a motorcycle, moped, or snowmobile must not ride other than upon a regular seat of the vehicle intended for a passenger, and must keep both feet on the footrests provided for the use of a passenger riding on the seat.

Every motorcycle, moped, and snowmobile must be equipped with at least 1 brake light.

Motorcycle Licenses

The holder of any class of driver’s license is not entitled to operate a motorcycle, except for the purpose of learning, unless the operator has successfully passed the applicable examination.

A person who is operating a motorcycle, moped, or snowmobile on a highway must ride as near as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway and must not operate the vehicle on a roadway where signs prohibit its use.

Motorcycle Noise Limits

No person may create or cause the emission of any loud and unnecessary noise from the motor vehicle, any part thereof, or anything or substance that the motor vehicle or part of the motor vehicle comes into contact with.

No person may operate a vehicle on a residential street within a municipality between the hours of 10 p.m. and 7 a.m. so as to disturb residents of that street unduly.

Every motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine must be equipped with a properly functioning muffler.

Mopeds & Other

Same requirements as motorcycles.

Trailer Dimensions

Total length of trailer and vehicle: 25 meters; width: 2.6 meters; height: 4.9 meters.

Trailer Brakes

Independent braking system required if gross weight exceeds 910 kg or one-half licensed weight of towing vehicle.

Trailer Hitch/Signals

Hitch must be secured to frame. Safety chain is required.

Trailer Lighting

No trailer, whether in motion or stationary, may be on a highway unless it has at least 1 light visible at a distance of 30 meters or more from the rear of the vehicle, or 2 reflectors that will reflect the light from a vehicle approaching from the rear.

No trailer pulled by or attached to a motor vehicle and having a width at any part, including any load, in excess of 205 cm, may be on any highway unless it has affixed in conspicuous positions, at its widest point and as near the top as practical, at least 1 lighted amber clearance light on each side of the front and at least 1 lighted red clearance light on each side of the rear.

Trailer Mirrors

Where the driver’s view of the roadway to the rear of the vehicle is obstructed or interfered with in any manner, a side rear vision mirror must be attached to each side of the motor vehicle and must be placed in such a position as to afford the driver a clear view of the roadway to the rear and to each side of the motor vehicle.

Trailer Speed Limits

Same as for passenger cars.

Trailer Towing

No person may occupy or permit any other person to occupy a house trailer while it is being moved on a highway.

Trailer Other Provisions


Accident Reporting

Crashes must be reported immediately in cases of death, injury, or when property damage exceeds C$1,000.

Liability Laws

Province has compulsory third-party liability insurance on all vehicles with C$200,000 minimum personal injury or property damage. Proof is required at all times. Driving without such proof is C$400 fine.

Every person who owns and operates a motor vehicle on a highway must maintain an insurance policy that provides liability coverage, in respect of any 1 accident, to the limit of not less than C$200,000, exclusive of interest and costs, against liability resulting from bodily injury to or the death of 1 or more persons, and loss of or damage to property.

Claims arising out of bodily injury or death must have priority to the extent of C$190,000 over claims arising out of loss of damage to property, and claims arising out of loss of or damage to property must have priority to the extent of C$10,000 over claims arising out of bodily injury or death.