Title Application

(see Vehicle Registration)

Title Transfer of Ownership

(see Vehicle Registration)

Titles for Mobile Homes

(see Vehicle Registration)

Registration Application

With exceptions, it is not permissible to operate a motor vehicle or a trailer on the highway without a valid registration card issued in Manitoba.

An application for registration certificate must be made to the registrar.

The registrar may require proof of vehicle ownership; personal identification; or birth date verification prior to issuing a registration certificate.

A vehicle shall not be registered unless the insurance premium required by law has been paid and a vehicle inspection certificate has been filed with the registrar.

The registrar may issue a combined registration card and insurance certificate.

A person under 16 years of age may not register a vehicle.

A person under the age of 18 may not register a vehicle unless the application is signed: (1) by both parents; (2) by 1 parent if the other parent is deceased or it is not practical or desirable to obtain the signature of both; (3) by the legal guardian; or (4) by the applicant’s employer, if the applicant’s parents are deceased and there is no legal guardian.

A vehicle may only be registered in the name of the vehicle owner who: (1) alone or jointly with others has exclusive use of the vehicle, or exclusive use of the vehicle under a lease or other agreement for a period of more than 30 days; and (2) is a resident of Manitoba; has an office or principal place of business outside of Manitoba but is engaged in business in the province where the vehicle is primarily used; or is the operator of a public service vehicle or commercial truck.

Registration for Non-Residents

If the owner of a vehicle complies with the laws of a jurisdiction outside of Manitoba as to the registration and licensing of the vehicle, and the number plates are displayed on the vehicle, the owner may use or permit the use of the vehicle in Manitoba for 3 months or the period of registration for the vehicle in the outside jurisdiction, whichever is shorter. The owner or driver of the vehicle must carry certificate of registration and the license required under the laws of the jurisdiction when operating the vehicle, as well as a financial responsibility (liability insurance) card.

A non-resident who enters and resides in Manitoba for more than 3 months to attend a university, college, technical training school, or high school as a full-time student may operate or permit another person to a operate a vehicle if: (1) the owner is in compliance with the registration and licensing laws of the respective jurisdiction where the vehicle is registered; (2) the number plate or plates authorized for the jurisdiction are displayed; (3) the certificate of registration, the license, and the financial responsibility card are carried by the owner or driver when operating the vehicle; and (4) a valid student identification sticker is displayed on, or carried in, the vehicle.

The owner or driver of a vehicle with a valid in-transit permit or other temporary registration issued by another jurisdiction in Canada may operate the vehicle in Manitoba if the owner or driver: (1) carries the in-transit permit or registration, and proof of financial responsibility in the vehicle; and (2) operates the vehicle in accordance with the in-transit permit or registration requirements.

Registration Type


Emissions Inspection

No province-wide emissions inspection requirements.

Safety Inspection

Compulsory. Truck tractors 21,953 kg and over, semiannually; buses exceeding 10 passengers and school buses, semiannually; semitrailers, trailers, converter dollies, trucks, and truck tractors between 4,500-21,953 kg, annually. Random CVSA inspections.

All motor vehicles changing ownership require a valid inspection certificate prior to registration by the new owner. Does not apply to sales or gifts between immediate family.

New residents to Manitoba must have their vehicle inspected at a certified government station prior to registration. If vehicle recently inspected in former home jurisdiction, and inspection substantially similar to that in Manitoba, valid inspection certificate will be accepted.

Any motor vehicle that has been declared a total loss by an insurer and has been designated as salvageable must pass an integrity and mechanical inspection before it can be registered. If the insurer has designated the vehicle irreparable, registration is prohibited.

Title and Registration Fees


Title Fee: N/A

Registration Fee: $119.00


Title Fee: N/A

Registration Fee: $89.00


Plate Fee: $7.00

Registration Fee: $15.00

Driver’s License Fee: $15.00

Title Fee: N/A

Special Plates: $100.00 + $6.00 GST


Plate Disbursement

When issuing a registration card for a vehicle, the registrar shall issue a vehicle plate or plates, and a registration card with the appropriate validation sticker or registration class sticker.

Validation stickers are to be affixed to the license plate as evidence of a valid registration.

A plate remains the property of the Crown.

It is not permissible to operate a vehicle on the highway unless the number plate or plates are clearly visible and legible.

Transfer of Plates

When the interest of a vehicle passes from the registered owner to another person by an act of the owner or by operation of law, the registration of the vehicle expires immediately and the registered owner shall return the number plate or plates to the registrar. The registrar may retain them or allow the person who was the registered owner to retain them.

The registered owner of a vehicle may within 7 days of the passing of the interest in a vehicle or the expiration of the registration of the vehicle, whichever is shorter, apply to the registrar to use the number plate or plates issued for the vehicle on another vehicle that the person has newly acquired and intends to register.

When the interest of a vehicle passes by reason of death, the registration does not expire until the period specified in the vehicle registration. If an application is made before the vehicle expires, the spouse of the registered owner, if the ownership passes to the spouse or the personal representative of the owner, may obtain a transfer of registration and the appropriate number plate or plates.

Driver's License Examination

The registrar may not issue a license of any class unless the person passes an examination as required by the registrar.

Except for a learner’s permit, the registrar may exempt an applicant for a driver’s license from taking any examination if: (1) the applicant holds a valid driver’s license issued by a competent authority in a reciprocal jurisdiction; (2) the applicant is a member or a family member of NATO personnel, and holds a valid driver’s license in the country where the member permanently resides; (3) the applicant holds a valid driver’s license of any class issued under the authority of the Commander of the Canadian Forces Europe; or (4) in the 3-month period preceding the application, the applicant held a valid driver’s license issued by a competent authority of a province or territory of Canada.

The registrar may issue a license of any class without requiring the applicant to take an examination if the person has not allowed the license to lapse for a period of more than 4 consecutive years.

The examination must include: (1) a test of the person’s eyesight, ability to read and understand highway traffic signs, and knowledge of highway traffic laws; and (2) a test of the person’s ability to exercise ordinary and reasonable care when operating a motor vehicle.

Graduated Drivers Licensing

Manitoba has a graduated licensing program for novice drivers. At 15 1/2, teens enrolled in a high school driver education course with at least 8 completed hours of classroom instruction are eligible for a learner’s permit.

A learner’s permit authorizes a person to drive a motor vehicle, except for a motorcycle, when accompanied and supervised by a person who: (1) holds a valid license for the type of vehicle being operated; (2) has held the license for a period of at least 3 years; (3) occupies the seat nearest the driver; and (4) is conscious and in a condition to assume responsibility of vehicle operation.

Novice drivers must hold the learner’s license for at least 9 months before being eligible for an intermediate license.

Intermediate license holders may not drive between midnight and 5 a.m. or with more than 1 passenger unless there is a qualified supervising driver in the front seat. They may also drive with no more additional passengers than the number of functioning seat belts in the back seat.

Drivers must complete 15 months in the intermediate stage before graduating to the full license stage.

Drivers in the full stage must continue to maintain a zero blood alcohol content, while driving, for the first 36 months.

The minimum age for an unrestricted license is 17 years and 6 months.

Drivers License Issuance/Application

A valid driver’s license is required prior to operating a motor vehicle on the highway.

The driver must keep a valid driver’s license in his or her possession while operating a vehicle.

An applicant for a license or permit of any kind must: (1) apply in the form required by the registrar; (2) pay the prescribed fee and surcharges; and (3) be photographed for the issuance of a license that includes a photo identification card.

A driver’s license or permit includes a photo identification card, and a license certificate. When the driver is exempted by regulation from the requirement to be photographed, the registrar shall issue a photo identification card without a photograph.

The registrar may require that the applicant present proof of birth date.

The registrar may require an applicant or holder of a license to be examined and to provide a report from a medical practitioner, an optometrist, or another expert regarding his or her ability to operate a motor vehicle safely; or a report from an agency as to whether the individual has a disease or disability in the form of an alcohol or drug-related problem that may interfere with the safe operation of the vehicle.

An applicant for any class of license must make a declaration regarding his or her competency to drive a motor vehicle and any existing disease or disability.

A person who becomes a resident of the province may operate a vehicle for a period of 3 months after the residency is established if the person holds a valid license from a competent authority outside of Manitoba.

A non-resident who: (1) has complied with the law of the place of residency; (2) is 16 years of age or older; (3) does not reside or carry on business in the province for more than 3 consecutive months in a year or who is a member of NATO forces personnel; and holds a valid license of any class or permit issued by a competent authority of the jurisdiction where the person resides may operate a vehicle in the province without holding a license issued pursuant to Manitoba law.

A person temporarily residing in Manitoba for the purpose of attending a university, college, or technical school on a full-time basis may operate a motor vehicle if the person has complied with the licensing laws of the jurisdiction where the person permanently resides, if the license was issued in Canada or the U.S., or if the person is from another country and the person meets conditions imposed by the registrar.

Drivers License Renewal

Manitoba driver’s licenses expire every 5 years.

Types of Drivers Licenses

A Class 1 license authorizes the holder to operate semitrailer trucks and all motor vehicles or a combination of vehicles in Classes 2, 3, 4, and 5.

A Class 2 license authorizes the holder to operate a bus, including a school bus, with a seating capacity of over 24 passengers while carrying passengers; includes all vehicles in classes 3, 4, and 5.

A Class 3 license authorizes a person to operate a truck with more than 2 axles, including any combination of vehicles, or a truck with not more than 2 axles towing a trailer with a registered Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) of more than 4,540 kg except for semitrailer trucks; includes all vehicles in classes 4 and 5.

A Class 4 license authorizes the holder to operate taxis, ambulances, and other emergency vehicles; buses with a seating capacity between 10 and 24 passengers (while carrying passengers); school buses with a seating capacity between 10 and 36 passengers (while carrying passengers); includes class 5 vehicles.

A Class 5 license authorizes a holder to operate passenger cars; a bus while not carrying passengers; a truck with not more than 2 axles; any combination of vehicles consisting of a truck with not more than 2 axles and a towed vehicle with a registered GVW of not more than 4,540 kg; Class 5 and 3 trucks registered as farm trucks; and mopeds.

A Class 6 license authorizes the holder to operate a motorcycle and a moped. The operation of vehicles in Classes 1 to 5 are prohibited, unless the motorcycle Class 6 license is held in combination with Classes 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 licenses.

Distracted Driving

Text messaging and using a hand-held cell phone or other device are not permitted while operating motor vehicle that is in motion.


Wearing headphones on both ears it not permitted while driving or operating a bicycle.

Impaired Driving

Canadian federal law prohibits the operation of a motor vehicle while under the influence of intoxicating beverages, with the illegal per se limit set at 0.08 percent blood alcohol content (.08 BAC). Manitoba sets an illegal per se limit of .05 BAC. Violating this law could result in temporary loss of driver’s license.

Manitoba sets the legal drinking age at 18.

It is illegal to fail to submit to testing or an evaluation for impaired driving.

Manitoba requires the use of ignition interlocks for all impaired driving offenders over .08 BAC.

Move Over Law

Drivers approaching a stopped roadside assistance vehicle, including a tow truck, must slow down and pass the stopped vehicle only if safe to do so.

Seat Belts

The driver and passengers of a motor vehicle must wear passenger restraints when the vehicle is driven on the highway. When a passenger restraint consists of a separate pelvic and torso restraint, the driver and passengers may wear the pelvic restraint only.

It is illegal to ride on a vehicle or on any portion not designed or intended for the use of passengers.

Failure to comply with the passenger restraint requirements may result in a fine of up to C$2,000.

Child Passenger Safety

It is illegal to operate a motor vehicle when a passenger at least 5 but not yet 18 years of age, or a passenger under the age of 5 that weighs over 23 kg, is not wearing a passenger restraint. When the passenger restraint consists of a separate pelvic and torso restraint, the driver and passengers may wear the pelvic restraint only.

It is illegal to operate a motor vehicle with a passenger age 5 until 9 years of age or under 145 cm or under 36 kg who is not secured using a booster seat.

It is illegal to operate a motor vehicle with a passenger under 5 years of age and under 23 kg who is not fastened in a child restraint device.

Railroad Crossing

A driver approaching a railway crossing where a stop or warning sign has been erected must stop the vehicle: (1) not less than 5 meters from the nearest rail of the railway if the crossing is a restricted area; and (2) not less than 15 meters from the nearest rail if the crossing is not in a restricted speed area, and may not proceed until the driver can do so safely, until a traffic control device or flagman ceases to give warning of an approaching train or until a crossing gate is raised.

The driver of a vehicle carrying passengers for compensation, a school bus carrying children, or a vehicle carrying flammable liquids or gas, whether or not full, who is approaching a railway crossing must: (1) stop and look in both directions; (2) listen for signals indicating the approach of a train; and (3) in the case of a bus, open the door of the vehicle. The driver must not proceed unless the driver can do so safely.

It is not permissible to cross the railway tracks in a gear that needs to be changed while crossing the track.

School Buses

When a school bus is stopped on a highway and the lamp or other warning devices are displayed, the driver of a vehicle approaching the school bus from any direction must bring the vehicle to a stop at least 5 meters from the school bus; the driver must not proceed unless the bus resumes motion, or the warning signals cease to operate.

The driver of a vehicle upon a divided highway need not stop upon meeting or overtaking a school bus that is on a different roadway.

Bumper Height

All passenger cars must be equipped with a front and rear bumper designed to minimize damage to the vehicle.

Headlight Use

Headlights are required to be used 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise, or when visibility is 60m or less.

Hazard Light Use

Hazard lights may be used when a motor vehicle is coming to a stop or standing on a highway or traveling at a speed less than 40 kph when it is necessary to do so for safe operation; and when the vehicle is again put in motion or resumes a speed up to 40 kph.

Tire Chains

It is permissible to use tire chains of reasonable proportions upon a motor vehicle, where required for safety.

Studded Tires

Studded tires are permitted Oct. 1 – April 30.

Glass/Window Tinting

It is not permissible to spray or coat the windshield of a motor vehicle with any substance that reduces the amount of light that is capable of being transmitted through the windshield.

It is not permissible to apply a plastic film or a substance to the windshield, or side or rear windows that reduces the transmission of light below the minimum level prescribed, or that causes a reflection of light above the maximum level prescribed.

It is not permissible to equip a motor vehicle with glass of the type that transmits light in only one direction.

Video Screens

It is not permissible to drive on a highway with a television set unless it is: (1) mounted or positioned behind the seat occupied by the driver; and (2) the screen is not visible directly or indirectly from the driver’s seat.

Radar Detectors

Radar detectors are prohibited.

Windshield Stickers

Motor vehicles may be equipped with frost shields.

Other Equipment Rules

Every motor vehicle or trailer, except for a farm trailer, must be equipped with splashguards or fenders adequate to reduce effectively the wheel spray or splash of water from the roadway to the rear when traveling on the highway. The exception to this requirement is when the body of the motor vehicle or the trailer adequately affords such protection.

Motorcycle Equipment

Every motorcycle and moped must display 1 but no more than 2 headlamps that reveals persons and vehicles at a distance of 30 meters; 1 reflector on the back having a diameter of not less than 75 mm, and that illuminates a red reflection visible from 150 meters; and front and rear lamps that signal that the vehicle is to turn right or left. Front lamp must cast a white or amber light; and rear lamp must cast a red or amber light. The requirement to have signal lamps does not apply to a motorcycle of 1974 or earlier model, or to a moped.

Motorcycles of the model year 1975 or later and mopeds must light headlamps at all times when operating on the highway.

Every moped must be equipped with brakes on the front and rear wheels. A motorcycle and moped must have brakes capable of stopping movement when traveling at a speed of 30 km/h within a distance of 9 meters as if on a dry, smooth, level road, free from loose material. Each set of brakes must have a separate means of application.

Every motorcycle or moped must have pneumatic rubber tires in safe operating condition; free from bulges, cracks, or cuts that might render the tire hazardous; and the tire must have at least .8 mm of tread when measured on a tire tread wear indicator device at 3 points of the circumference of the tire.

Motorcycles must be equipped with handlebars with a width of not more than 920 mm and not less than 530 mm. The height of handlebars and the controls must not be more than 390 mm above the portion of the seat occupied by the operator.

The operator and passenger of a motorcycle, moped, or motor-assisted bicycle must wear a helmet when driving on the highway. Safety helmet is not required when the motorcycle is equipped with a cab that encloses the operator and passengers.

Motorcycle Licenses

A person must hold a valid motorcycle license (class 6 learner, intermediate, or full stage license) prior to operating a motorcycle on the highways.

Motorcycle Noise Limits

No province-wide noise restriction.

Mopeds & Other

When traveling on a highway, the operator of a moped must: (1) ride as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb of the roadway, except for when passing or overtaking another vehicle; (2) ride in a single line with another moped, bicycle, or motorcycle; and (3) keep at least 1 hand on the handlebars at all times.

It is permissible to carry an infant on a moped on a seat designed to carry infants

It is not permissible to carry or transport any object or thing on the front or rear of the moped that interferes with the proper operation of the moped, or that constitutes a hazard to traffic on mopeds.

It is not permissible to operate a moped on a provincial trunk highway where the maximum speed limit is greater than 80 km/h; however, a moped may cross an intersection if such crossing is the most direct route.

A first time applicant for a motorcycle license must pass a written test and complete a motorcycle safety course prior to being issued a motorcycle learner’s license.

Must wait 9 months before taking the road test.

Persons holding a learner’s license must have a zero blood alcohol concentration.

Class 5 learner or class 6 learner license permits the operation of a moped.

Trailer Dimensions

The trailer length limit is 12.5 meters; the width limit is 2.6 meters; and the height limit is 4.15 meters.

Trailer Brakes

Every semitrailer or trailer that is attached to a semitrailer truck, and every trailer with a gross weight in excess of 910 kg that is attached to a motor vehicle must be equipped with brakes capable of stopping the vehicle or combination of vehicles when traveling at a speed of 30 km/h within a distance of: (1) 7.6 meters for a passenger car type vehicle; (2) 9 meters for a single-unit vehicle (other than a passenger car type vehicle) or combination of vehicles if the weight is less than 4,540 kg; (3) 12.2 meters for a single-unit 2-axle vehicle if the weight is 4,540 kg or greater; and (4) 15.3 meters for all other vehicles and combinations thereof if the weight is 4,540 kg or greater.

Trailer Hitch/Signals

A drawbar connection must not exceed 5 meters.

Trailer Lighting

A motor vehicle with a trailer attached that has width in excess of 2.05 meters on any part must carry at least 4 clearance lamps or reflectors located as near the top as practicable: 1 on each side of the front that casts or reflects a green or amber light forward, 1 on each side of the back of the vehicle that casts or reflects a red light to the rear; and placed on that part of the vehicle that projects farthest to the left and to the right. Lamps must be visible from a distance of 150 meters to the rear of the vehicle.

For every trailer attached to a motor vehicle, or if more than 1 is attached, the rear-most vehicle must carry at the back: (1) at least 1 stop lamp that casts a red light; and (2) signal lamp; and (3) a left and right rear amber or a red turn signal light.

Trailer Mirrors

Interior and left exterior mirrors are required when towing loads wider than the towing vehicle. Buses, trucks, and truck tractors require a left and right exterior mirror.

Trailer Speed Limits

90 km/h in rural areas and 50 km/h in urban areas, unless otherwise posted.

Trailer Towing

It is not permissible to operate a motor vehicle that is towing a trailer on the highway unless: (1) the motor vehicle and trailer are connected by a drawbar; (2) the drawbar connection must not exceed 5 meters; (3) the attachment for connecting the drawbar, except for when towing a vehicle with a gross weight in excess of 900 kg, is securely affixed to the frame of the towing vehicle; (4) the coupling connection of the drawbar to the motor vehicle is secure; and (5) the drawbar and connection are adequate to prevent the vehicle from swaying, whipping, or weaving on the highway. In addition to a drawbar and a coupling connection, the towing vehicle must also have an additional safety chain or cable to: (1) prevent complete disconnection of the vehicle and trailer in the case of accidental disconnection of the primary coupling connection; and (2) prevent the drawbar from dropping to the ground in the event that the primary coupling device becomes disconnected and the additional safety chain or cable must not be fastened or connected to the ball, socket, eye, hook, or any other fasteners common to the primary coupling connection. It is not permissible to occupy a house trailer while the trailer is traveling upon a increases on a sliding scale with the accumulation of 6 or more demerit points.

Compulsory government insurance for all residents.

Manitoba does not have non-resident service of process law; has guest suit law.

Trailer Other Provisions


Accident Reporting

Crashes are required to be reported within 7 days in cases of death, injury, hospital admittance, unlicensed driving, involving an unregistered vehicle, if another driver refuses to share information, intoxication, or hit-and-run.

Liability Laws

The minimum amount is not less than C$200,000, exclusive of interest and costs, in respect to liability arising from bodily injury or death to 1 or more persons, or loss of or damage to property in 1 accident.

Has security-type law applicable in event of property damage in excess of C$1,000 or personal injury or death. Minimum financial responsibility limits: C$200,000 inclusive.

Insurance: Vehicle insurance is compulsory through Manitoba Public Insurance, and must be purchased when vehicle is registered and upon annual renewal of registration. An insurance premium is also charged with the driver’s license fee, and highway.