Types of Driver's Licenses

Types of non-commercial licenses are driver’s licenses, driver’s licenses with a Class M motorcycle, and a motorcycle-only license. Types of commercial licenses are:

  • Class A: Any combination of vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more if the vehicle(s) being towed has a GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. If an operator holds a Class A license and has the correct endorsements, he or she may also operate vehicles listed in Classes B and C.
  • Class B: Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 lbs. or more. Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 lbs. or more towing another vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or less.
  • Class C: Any vehicle that is not included in Classes A or B that carries hazardous materials or is designed to carry 16 or more passengers, including the driver.
  • Types of endorsements are: H — permits driving a vehicle that transports hazardous materials; N — permits driving a tanker; P — permits driving a passenger-carrying vehicle; S — permits driving a school bus; or T — permits driving a double or triple trailer. 
Category: Virginia Tags: ,